Thursday 9 November 2017

Pre Winter League

Thursday, Nov 11.
The Tony Evans Winter League starts Sunday (alternate weeks) and the bottom line is that I know I will probably be the worst angler there.

It's not false modesty - while I don't know who has entered I fully expect it will include locals like Jon Whincup, Barry Mason, Kevin Wadge, Steve and Martyn Freeman, Nigel Baxter, and a host of other Decoy regulars. And I expect anglers from other parts of the country looking to practice for the Winter League Final, half of which is held on Decoy. Previous Winter Opens these have included people like Lee Kerry and Andy Geldart.

So my simple target is to not finish last on whichever lake I am pegged on. If I can manage that, just once, I will be very happy.

Before any match I always attach to some pole tops the rigs I am most likely to need; this takes away any decisions as to what to use if I am unsure. And because I have an Octbox, which takes time to get ready, it saves valuable time setting up. So I've got about 10 possible rigs attached - 0.5 gm, 0.75 gm and 1 gm Drennan Tuff Eyes, some tied all-through and others with lighter hooklengths attached, three small Maver Invincibles for close-in work, up to about 4 ft deep, and a couple of stronger full-length rigs for cat meat if the bigger fish start showing. Plus a couple of shallow rigs just in case. And some spare tops with assorted elastics.

I expect to use maggots, expanders and sweetcorn on the hook though I have worms as well. I will have three leger rods made up, but I may not use them. The good thing is that, surrounded by good anglers, I can see whether they are picking fish up on a feeder or leger. You learn a lot from these matches, even if you are hammered.

But whatever happens I am determined to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment