Tuesday 14 November 2017

The best laid plans...work eventually!

Monday, November 13th
Damson Lake, Decoy, peg 5

Boy was it cold! The hourly forecast I looked at before leaving home said that mid-match the temperature would be 2 degrees ‘But Feels Like Freezing.’ And it did. Just as we were going to our pegs Ted drew up – the 89-year-old had overslept, jumped out of bed (well probably shuffled at his age), driven as fast as he dare along the frost-covered Fenland roads and arrived in time to start, but having had no breakfast. He then got peg 11 – the longest walk...perhaps it was not going to be his day!

There were now 10 of us and we fished the nearest pegs, opposite the high bank, with the Northerly wind from right to left putting a big ripple on the water – biggest at peg 1, falling away a little towards the end pegs. I fancied Peg 1 as I have noticed, on every match I’ve fished on here that the low numbers, where it’s narrowest, have produced a few  bigger fish – 3 lb-plus as compared with the 10 oz to 1 lb stamp which comprise the majority of fish. But it was not drawn, and Mick Linell had peg 2 – a good angler on a decent peg, but the overnight frost might turn things topsy-turvey I thought.

I had peg 5, and decided to fish banded pellet in the margins and at three sections, where the depth fell to about 7 feet, loosefeeding hard pellet – this is the tactic John, at the fishery, has recommended to me a couple of times, using the margin rig farther out if the fish come up in the water. The plan looked like working when I had a fish in the margins, about 18 inches deep, first drop-in. Another came a few minutes later, then...nothing.

A change of plan

After another 25 minutes consistently feeding both swims but getting just one more fish near the side I turned to Plan B – fishing normally with expander on a half-gram Tuff Eye float. Meanwhile Peter, on my right, was fishing four sections with paste and catching fish of 1 lb-plus steadily, while Trevor, to my left had also had two early fish but now sat biteless.

Another 75 minutes fishing three sections with expander brought about three small fish and my right hand was aching with the cold. So I had a short break, and a hot Bovril, and a walk up to my mate John on peg 7. He had around 6 lb in the first hour, but hadn’t had a bite for ages and was seriously thinking of going home because his hands were so cold. Peter told me afterwards that at this point he had around 20 lb in his net.

Plan C works better
So back to my peg and I had a re-think and because the water was so rough I wasn’t sure where my bait was landing in the seven feet of water; so I put in a bait dropper of pellet and hempseed. This seemed to work after a fashion and in the next hour I added another five or six fish, all around 1 lb, while Trevor, on my left also had a few fish. By this time the wind seemed a little warmer and didn’t have the bite it had earlier – and John decided to carry on!
 
My two favourite floats - the Tuff Eye has four
different coloured interchangeable tips; the
Maver Invincible has a spring eye with the line
going through the body. I use the smaller
 Invincibles for most of my margin work.
Plan D in operation
I felt that the rig wasn’t fishing properly, and couldn’t put my finger on the problem. So, wondering if a more positive approach would work I got up and went to my holdall and took out a top with a 1 gm Tuff Eye attached which I had used the previous day. I slid the bulk down to a foot from the bait and slid the two Number 12 shot down to within four inches and baited with a 6 mm expander. This definitely worked better and I added three or fish quickly; then a lull.

Plan E
My final fling, with an hour to go,  was to put out a bait-dropper of pellet and hempseed to four sections, where the depth was only about two inches deeper than I had been fishing. For a start it didn’t work. But I started adjusting the depth by half-an-inch at a time and suddenly started getting bites. The float was dotted right down so that the pellet on the bottom dragged the float under, and I held it back by lifting the pole just an inch, when the weight of the nylon lifted the float back top the surface. But bites were slow in coming, and I felt certain the fish were there.

Then I did what I should have thought about earlier and changed from a 6mm expander to a 4mm – the change was miraculous. Now the float could drag the bait along the bottom without going under. I very slowly tripped the rig through the swim and started getting a bite every put-in.
 
The result
I had to mark the pole section I was holding to get the rig in exactly the same spot, because if I didn’t I just hooked leaves. But it brought results, I don’t think I missed a bite,  and the last 40 minutes or so must have seen me land 15 or 16 fish, the best 2 lb. I had been really ‘in the zone’ for that last period and hadn’t even looked at Peter or Trevor, but they told me afterwards they were almost fishless in the last couple of hours.

My Theory
I believe the fish were hanging almost on the bottom, not moving, and not hungry, and not willing to move to take a bait. But if the expander was dribbled along right past them then some fish would take a peck more out of instinct than hunger. The fact that I hooked about three on the side of the head makes me certain this was what was happening. But the float had to be dotted right down as the fish weren’t moving. On more than one occasion I struck at what I thought might possibly have been a movement and had a fish every time.


Second place
Mick weighed in 43 lb 2 oz and had at least one good fish approaching 8 lb.  That was a good performance considering the conditions in the first half of the match. I was mighty pleased to see my fish weigh 27 lb 2 oz, and surprised that Peter weighed in only 24 lb 7 oz for third after having been so far ahead of me earlier.
                                        
Good old Ted was fourth – you can’t keep a good man down. What a remarkable man he is!

No comments:

Post a Comment