Wednesday 3 January 2018

Pop-up experiment was an eye-opener

On a recent match on Magpie I started with a banded Dynamite Super Fishmeal Pup-Up Nugget - it's white, and soft, like a firm marshmallow. I checked, in the side, that it popped up, cast out, and retrieved ten minutes later without having had a knock. I re-cast, still without a take, and retrieved to cast again.

Before the third cast I checked that it popped up...and it didn't; it sank slowly. I took hold of it and it was soft, had got smaller, and virtually fell apart in my hand.
The Dynamite soft pop-ups.
Even in my white container the trail can be clearly seen.

Intrigued, I tried an experiment at home the other day - and the photograph shows the reason it got smaller - after a minute or so it started leaching a trail of white into the water, which I suspect would be extremely inviting to any fish nearby. At home the trail sank straight down, but on a fishery I expect it would move sideways with any tow.

I also tried hooking this particular pop-up with a straight hook, rather than banding it, and I think that will be better than using a band. I also realised that retrieving it almost certainly speeded up the leaching, causing it to get smaller more quickly than if it had been left. At home it was still popping up after ten minutes.
The Drennan pop-ups are harder

In contrast the Drennan Bandit Dumbell Pop Up retained its size and texture after ten minutes in a band. From memory these are similar to the original Crazy Bait coloured Pop-ups.

So in future I will hook the Dynamite straight onto a hook and use for one cast only. That scent trail is a bit of a bonus, I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment