Friday 24 February 2017

What did I do wrong?

Over 60s, Magpie Lake, Pidley, peg 11

It’s been difficult for everybody in February, because of the weather, and I’ve been no exception.  The same pegs had been dominating on Magpie, and 11 had not been doing much, though I was told someone had had four carp from it, on a straight lead cast to the reeds.

Conditions were good, with only a light breeze, but it was cold. Despite trying corn on a straight lead, my main pole attack with expander pellet at 13 metres, and a maggot swim in deep water near the right-hand margin, where I managed just two roach on maggot. Once when I lifted the rig up at 13 metres I foulhooked a carp about 18 inches off the bottom, but it came off after a few seconds. I plugged away there for the next 90 minutes with not even a liner.

Alan, on 13, to my left, managed three carp for 13 lb in the last hour and a half, for fifth. Opposite on 35 there was 35 lb for second, and it was won on 31 with 39 lb, fishing only about 8 metres out. I don’t know what else I could have done.

Open, Decoy, Yew peg 16

This was the last Sunday Open before the commercial part of the Winter League final, and there were 80 entered from all over the country. I managed a good draw in the far corner of Yew, with a strong breeze into me from the left. I put out a few grains of corn and some expanders in a cup at 13 metres and started on a straight lead with corn. Soon the angler opposite had a couple of carp to his left, into the end bank, and the angler on my left had one long – probably at 14 metres. Meanwhile I had not had a touch so I changed to the pole with an expander at 13 metres, which proved fruitless . Then after about 90 minutes I had a 4 lb carp on maggot close to the end reeds just off bottom. But no more followed, so it was back to expander pellet at 13 metres, and after another hour or so a 5 lb carp was in the net. Then it was a case of changing around, with two more carp from my righthand swim, as I got gradually colder and colder.

I tried a margin swim to my right on and off, but apart from one tiny touch – probably a liner – it produced nothing. Then I had two fish briefly pricked on the main maggot rig. In the last hour I lost three carp in succession – one long and the other two on the maggot rig. One of those was at least 7 lb, and none seemed foulhooked. I have to assume they were just hooked very lightly, as happens in cold water when they are just mouthing the bait.

Not happy, but it would have made no difference as my four fish went 22 lb 10 oz, for almost last on the lake. The other five anglers in my section – three opposite and two to my left – all weighed between 60 lb and 80 lb. Andy Geldart won my lake – and the Open – with 154 lb from a swim five to my left, opposite the bird hide. The swims on all four strips which are in line with the hide or just past it, tend to have an edge. Put a superstar like Andy on one of these when fish are willing to feed, and he’s always in with a good chance.

I was once told that a narrow strip of gravel runs through all the strips here, so that could be the reason fish like it. The whole area is littered with gravel pits, so it’s quite possible that explanation holds water.

Again, I don’t know what I did wrongly. My left margin was difficult, into the wind, and I didn’t fish it seriously. Perhaps I should have targeted it properly in the last hour. The angler on my left told me had had four fish late on in the margins. But when you’re cold making these big decisions is always difficult. I know this is rated as a good summer swim, and with the breeze into the corner I was hopeful at the start. I’ve never managed to draw it before, so at least I now have some idea of the layout.

I can’t beat myself up about coming last in my section – I just still feel privileged to be able to take part in a match with that class of angler.


No comments:

Post a Comment