Monday 7 May 2018

My best-ever match weight


Kingsland Small Carp Lake, Coates, nr Whittlesey, Cambs

This was a 12-entry club match. Bad health kept three or four away, while our secretary was on holiday. The lake – originally an irrigation reservoir -  is noted for its big numbers of  carp, which run mainly from 3 lb up to 15 lb-plus, with some fish around 20 lb showing themselves in the bright sunshine – we never saw a cloud all day and the temperature in my garden hit 30 Centigrade. There was much splashing in the reeds near me, showing the fish are hoping to spawn any day.

Luckily I had re-read my previous posts on this lake, and even more luckily I drew the same corner swim I had last time, when I had framed in fourth. So I had an idea of what had worked before – fish close in on the right.  But things looked bad when Tony Nisbet drew the favoured peg near the road, which is all on its own on that bank – he’d lost a lot of fish last time in the reeds, and I fully expected he would not repeat the same mistakes. Meanwhile Kevin Lee, who has won our club championship more times than anyone else,  was a few pegs to my left, in an area I like, where there is an underwater reed bed a few feet from the bank which is not yet visible.

Plan C
I had some soaked (but not pumped) expanders ready to target fish on the surface, as this is allowed here and can produce huge weights. But when I saw the conditions – flat calm and bright sun – I doubted whether they would work. So I threw out a few pellets to about six metres, intending to start there, as I had read that Kevin Lee had caught out around that length all day last time. I also threw out a few floaters; but I started looking inside, with cat meat, in four feet of water, a few feet from the reeds to my left, as although there were odd  fish in these reeds, the righthand swim was positively alive with them.

Unexpectedly I started getting liners to the left immediately and in fact I stayed here for the first two hours, and never went farther out. A slowish start saw me take a 5 lb mirror a few minutes after the start, by which time Dennis, on my left  had hooked and lost three or four fish which I suspected had been foulhooked – he told me later that was the case.
My corner swim - the fish were splashing in the reeds to my right all day.


A special method
I fish a ‘special’ method which, when conditions allow, allows me to almost entirely eliminate foulhooking fish. I call it ‘special’ because the only other person I know who has fished like this is ‘Fatha’ Dennis White. When I can fish it, I expect to do well – though a better angler than I would do better of course. Anyway, while Dennis on my left – and many others – were foulhooking fish on and off all day I managed to foulhook just three that I know of all day,  and two of those came off in two seconds. The other one stuck.

I stayed on cat meat almost all day, firstly on a rig consisting of 6 lb Maxima straight through, and getting fish steadily, the best two around 15 lb, with a couple of others  in double figures. After a couple of hours, to rest the lefthand swim, I dropped in a foot from the righthand side of the platform, with my spare rig, with 6 lb Match Team straight through, and took a run of about ten fish to 10 lb there, before switching  back and forth between the two swims. Both rigs had size 12 Kamasan Animal hooks – they don’t straighten!

Some of the fish shot under the platform, but they all came out. These were all wild carp...well they looked very annoyed when I landed them!

Best baiting procedure
I eventually found it best to put in a few grains of corn and a few cubes of cat meat before every fish. This definitely brought bites more quickly than trying to get two fish from one baiting. The fish seemed to come in within seconds – and I emptied a pot of water over the top each time to make a noise. Amazing how that works.  By this time, although I had thrown out several floaters, hardly any fish had taken an interest and I had abandoned the idea of surface fishing completely.

Playing problems
The fish were certainly pumped up with testosterone (or the fishy equivalent) and I took longer than I would have liked playing them. Having said that, only two came off after I had played them for a while, and just one broke me in the reeds eight metres to my right, so I was pretty pleased with the landing rate.

But I was using my old, stiff, margin pole, which I have rigged up with two elasticated  tops about six feet long, which means I have to add another  section to land fish. This meant I could not use a puller even if they were equipped with them – and had I had a puller I am sure I would have saved a couple of minutes on each fish, because the fish pulled so hard there was much more elastic out than I would normally expect when using these tops. One had Middy 22-24 solid and the other 18 Latex.

I had to virtually scoop the fish out as they swam past, rather than being able to slide them into the net – they just never gave up. It was hard work and at times my right hand cramped up, while afterwards my shoulders really ached from playing and netting them.  I decided I might have done better with my normal Browning Z12 which has puller bungs, but in the past I have foulhooked huge fish here and actually lost top twos, while I havealways  felt it was only a matter of time before a fish smashed the pole.

That’s a problem I am still working on. I also had with me a Browning Sting though it’s a put-in pole, without pullers, and the tops are so thin it’s not easy to insert a puller bung, which I favour over side pullers.  But as I was landing almost every fish – eventually – I felt it better not to change.
James - Dave's son, with another -
he uses only rod and line.

 
Dave Garner with one of the many
double-figure fish taken.
Oops

Two or three of the best fish came to double corn, which I used as an occasional change bait, and I felt it worked more quickly that the cat meat – something which I will try again.
When I was on my third net I landed a 6 lb common, looked at my clicker, and was horrified to see 47 lb on it and, unsure which net to put the fish in, I put it in that net, knowing I was over. At the end it weighed 56 lb, and as our club fishes to a strict 50 lb maximum, so I lost the 6 lb.

As I weighed in my five nets (Tony, who I had not been able to see because of tall reeds,  weighed first and had 191 lb) the other anglers gritted their teeth when they saw the 56 lb register, pointing out that, like me, Kevin also had five nets, and was on the Golden Peg. Would that 6 lb stop me beating him?
Winner Kev Lee with a fish we weighed at almost 15 lb.

My best match weight
I wasn’t sure whether I could beat Tony. My previous three best match weights had been around 175 lb, though I had once caught 200 lb-plus on Head Fen, to almost certainly beat the water record,  only for nets to be disqualified so on that occasion I ended with 61 lb!

Today three nets had 40 lb-plus, the overweight one was given as 50 lb, and the last one went 30 lb – total 212 lb 2 oz, and my first-ever weight of 200 lb. Kevin in fact beat me with 224 lb 14 oz to win, so my six-pounder would have made no difference. He had again caught several feet out in front of him, coming into the margins late. I was second, and not only very happy, but when I got home Iwas – for the first time ever – pleased I was not fishing the next day because I was very tired, and my shoulders ached. I suppose at the age of 75 that’s the price you pay for enjoying yourself.

However, onwards and upwards – I’m at Decoy on Elm lake tomorrow, when it might be slightly cooler.
Dick one of our weighers-in. Sensible hat!

 
Callum with friend!
TIP
I had a small cool bag in which I placed a tin of cat meat. This tin had been in the fridge all night, and it went in with a couple of ice packs – and a small plastic bottle of drinking water. In summer it’s a boon, as when the sun becomes almost unbearable and the cat meat in my tray sets soft I can undo the spare ti, knowing that the meat inside is firm...and have a drink to cool off. Which I did !

Another tip , shown to me by Darren Cox, is to have a full bottle of orange squash, frozen overnight in a freezer. The hotter the sun the more quickly it melts when you put it beside you on the bank. That will be in my armoury tomorrow. I had forgotten how hot it can get in England – it’s been so long...while you all had your mini heatwave a couple of weeks ago  I was in Portugal, in the rain, and when the sun shone it was not as hot as this!
The result - six topped 100 lb.



No comments:

Post a Comment