Wednesday 24 October 2018

Surprised to nick third spot - Damson, Decoy


Damson, Decoy, Peg 10

Just nine of us in this Spratts mid-weeker, and we were greeted by a stiff breeze into our faces – not particularly cold, and nothing we couldn’t handle. I had sort of decided to fish the deep water – seven feet at the end of a top two – but there are always fish to be caught shallow to start with, so I tried that. The average here is around 1 lb to 2 lb, with odd bigger one mainly in the first three pegs, which we did not use.
A stiff breeze at the start,  almost in our faces turned to a nasty, blustery day.


Trevor, on my left, set off like an express train, shallow on a top two out in front. But in the first hour or so, also fishing a banded pellet, I managed about eight fish for 6 lb while he must have had at least 30 lb! I was determined to catch shallow, but in the end I had to give up – so I had virtually wasted an hour. Next I looked down the side, feeding a few very old casters and baiting with them, and immediately I found fish to 2 lb. I fancied that they were a little larger than Trevor was catching; and he was still flying.

I stick to the margins 
I spent the rest of the match fishing the margins, up to about three feet deep – then it drops down almost vertically to seven feet. I had a rig ready for this, but stupidly never used it. Fish came steadily for the next two or three hours, by which time the wind had increased and became colder, and the fish seemed to be moving about, from a few inches deep out to the edge of the drop. Caster was good, and maggot brought mainly small roach so I quickly gave that up. Half a dozen barbel to 2 lb gave me real problems in the wind on my 13 Hollo elastic, and the purple Hydro I changed to eventually, to fish cat meat, felt much better.
Peter Harrison took 100 lb - he
never seems to have a bad day,


My best carp was about 4 lb, taken in less than  a foot of water next to the platform on cat meat. I had a good spell on this; then I had to try corn, which brought a quick run of several fish. With 80 minutes to go I went for a third net (Trevor had been for his almost an hour earlier) and when I returned I had to wait ten minutes for a fish. I had been feeding every minute or so all day, and obviously they had wandered off; but the cold seemed now to slow them down.

Winner was Peter Spriggs, with
209 lb 3 oz of small carp and barbel.
Towards the end I tried 6mm expanders, loosefeeding some, and that brought four or five quick fish to 1 lb 8 oz. But they wouldn’t stop in the same place for more than a few minutes at a time. The last 15 minutes were dire, and by this time even Trevor had had to come inside, with occasional tries shallow, so I knew he was struggling. When the shout went up to end the match the wind suddenly increased again, and became colder, I think we were all ready to pack up.

The weigh in
Peter Spriggs had five nets, fishing cat meat and paste on his top twoin front of him in the deep water. I am sure I would have done better if I had done this instead of sticking to my plan, but I didn’t...


He weighed a magnificent 209 lb 3 oz to win, and told me his best fish was around 7 lb. Along to Trevor, who had 136 lb 10 oz, much less than I had thought, so his fish must have been slightly smaller than  mine, because I estimated he was catching two to every one of mine all day. 

I weighed 113 lb 14 oz, for third, and my final net, taken in the last 75 minutes, weighed only 20 lb - so my catch rate had really sropped towards the end. Terry Tribe was fourth on 100 lb 2 oz, and Peter Harrison, who was over in both nets, had 100 lb taken mainly on hard pellet, with a few on feeder.
Terry Tribe, former National 4 Champion,
beat Martin Parker, former Veterans
 National Champion, by 24 lb...


A runaway win for Peter Spriggs.




















...but he had to plead dire poverty in order to get an unimpressed
Martin to pay him the golden coin they had wagered at the start.
That first disastrous hour when I couldn’t catch shallow was my undoing; but I still think I would have done better looking for better fish in the deep water first. The one bit of good news is that the £100-plus Golden Peg, drawn by Bob Barret, is still intact.

Damson is a cracking lake, and still produces in the cold weather. A great place to take a youngster. I look forward to challenging it again in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment