Sunday 2 December 2018

A result that could not have been tighter!


Before our final Fenland Rods match we were told that two anglers were tying at the top on points, and that if either won that match they would end as club champion. But if neither won the match the club had a problem, because the best of the matches each would drop were worth the same points, so Mel, who was collating the results, asked for a ruling.

I can’t remember what was decided, but we all speculated on which two anglers were tying. I guessed probably Kevin Lee, who has won the championship several times in the past, and Tony Nisbet, who had had an amazingly-consistent season. But one could have been current champion Dave Garner.
Kevin Lee, who swept the board on presentation night.


In fact the match was won by Kevin Lee, who was now favourite in my book, but it wasn’t until the Christmas dinner this week that the Club Championship result was announced – and Kevin had indeed won – by one point. But who was runner-up? Handkerchiefs at the ready...it was me! I was surprised I had done so well, but I won it two years ago, and have been in the top three or four for some years, so no complaints. Our secretary/chairman John Smith was a very popular third, followed by Tony Nisbet.


Kevin also won the Club Cup Match, took top spot in the Handicap match, winning a medal, and took the Drawn Pairs event (and the cash), when he was drawn with Tony Nisbet – a most dangerous combination. Here’s to next season...
The last thing Bill Foster expected to win in the raffle was a fish!

I’ve found the answer!

For years I’ve been last to pack up in our club matches, but in Opens I’m about average. And during this season I think I’ve discovered part of the reason – some anglers start packing up before the match ends.

I’ve noticed them winding spare rigs back onto winders, putting spare bait in the water, and packing unused rods away, often when there’s still half-an-hour to go.

I hadn’t really noticed this before, as I tend to concentrate very hard, but sometimes, when someone is drawn dead opposite, I can’t help but see them moving about. However,  in my book that’s the time you’re  most likely to catch;  I’m not complaining though – Carry On Packing Up!

Sorry, could not fish a match this week – next possible date is Saturday, Dec 7th.

No comments:

Post a Comment