Sunday 17 February 2019

I catch some fish...But Not A Lot! – Six-Islands, Decoy

Peg 18 on Six-Island was my home for the fifth Decoy Individual Winter League. In summer it can be a flier, but with a cool Southerly wind from the right it was very difficult for me. It’s a narrow swim with a bank behind me and the wind channels straight down.  I would have preferred the swims to my left, three of which had a reed-fringed island to fish to; I think the fish hang around the islands when the water is cool and moving, as they are able to dive into the reeds when they are not interested in feeding, and then come out for a minute or two at intervals. My swim had very  little cover as the wind was hurtling straight down.
Peg 18 looking towards Four-Islands. The wind increased later.

The forecast was for it to strengthen, so I started off across the far side, at about ten metres,with a 4mm expander over micros  for just three little knocks, none of which turned into a proper bite. I managed to pick up a bit of tow against the wind, though when I tried the same spot later the wind was so strong I couln’t pick up the tow. A change to corn did not help, and after an hour the wind made presentation difficult.

I had put in a little bait at four sections in front of me, but I had nothing there, and after two-and-a-half hours I had not had a fish, but had seen the higher numbers to my left catch odd carp. Eventually I had to try maggot, and as expected this attracted occasional roach to 3 oz, and I felt I had no option but to carry on doing this, hoping better fish would come.
Last in my section again!


WILLOWS












A switch to my left, where presentation was easier, brought another four or five roach just off the end of a small group of irises, and then, a foot off bottom, I hit a much better fish. Unfortunately after a couple of minutes it pulled off, possibly foulhooked. A few minutes later I manage to land a 2 lb F1, and then hooked another good fish which suddenly made a beeline for my platform, and transferred to hook to my keepnet! Probably a barbel.

In the final 90 minutes I hooked (and landed) another three F1s, all off bottom, and a 2 lb barbel, all on maggot to my left near the irises. I would have liked to fish long, at 11 metres, to my right, which was a bit shallower, where Ben Bell had most of his fish last Sunday, but the sun made it impossible at the start of the match, and later, when the sun had moved, it was too rough to even try it!
BEASTIE



I weigh 14 lb 7 oz
My fish weighed 14 lb 7 oz, one from last in the match, but I didn’t feel too bad, as Mark Perkins told me afterwards that he had had that swim  on Saturday last week and had struggled with presentation in the Southerly wind. In fact he, also, had had all his fish in the spot I took mine.

The lake was won with 74 lb from Peg 22, which won the section last Sunday. The peg I had last Sunday was second with 73 lb, and it looked as if he had most of his fish at 16 metres. The match was won by Chris Barley on Willows 25 – probably the best-known flier on the complex. Put Chris where there are fish and he’s unbeatable!

PS. Just seen that peg 18, in the previous day's Open, which was won on Peg 22, Did Not Weigh.
LOU'S
DAMSON


No comments:

Post a Comment