Tuesday 10 September 2019

Another decent weight for third - Cedar, Decoy


Peg 18
A nice surprise before we started

Fifteen of us fished this Spratts club match on the Tuesday, and before the start Trevor announced that after the Saturday teams-of-four Ellis Buddle Memorial  match the wrong winners were announced. Two teams had tied on points and the weights totted up to find the winners. The weights were added  up correctly, but credited to the wrong teams.

The result was that the team that I, Mick Raby, Peter Harrison and John Buckenham were in had in fact WON by 6 lb and not lost by 6 lb! So Trevor gave me the medal he had been presented with, and the £25 as my share of the winning team’s prize. A good start.

Then  I drew peg 18 which, for a change, I was fairly happy with. I wanted a peg on the Eastern bank – 14 to 26 -  and would have strongly preferred 20 to 26, but Bob Allan had had quite a good weight from 18 on Saturday so I thought I might have a chance of catching a decent weight.
John Smith with a 15-pounder. You can see
how green the water was.


The water, like Northview on Sunday, was green with algae, but hot a bad as Northview had been. When we started nothing seemed to have been caught in the first few minutes, so I was pleased to get a 3 lb carp on a 6 mm pellet on a top two, dragging it slowly along the bottom. This has seemed better recently than lifting the bait, and it proved to be the same in this match.

Peter The Paste - 60 lb 15 oz from peg 11
on the Western bank, which didn't fish
as well as the bank opposite.

















I soon went out to the swim I had baited six sections out, and using a pellet or corn I manged, in the next hour, to hook three fish and lose them all, almost certainly foulhooked. I knew the fish were there because they were fizzing – dispelling air through their gills. They seem to do this when they are cruising around just filter feeding through their gills, and when they become excited.


Bob Barret was in peg 13, in the corner.
 I've done well in this swim, but it
didn't fish well on the previous Saturday.



So back inside, and another two fish were hooked and lost, but two good fish approaching 10 lb were landed, so that at 1 o’clock I had just three fish. John, to my right on 16, had also had a big fish or two.

Maggots for barbel
I put in a load of dead red maggots to my right margin and had a barbel there, but decided to switch back to the left, in the deep water about five feet from the bank. Then fish started to come in waves – at one time I had a 12-pounder and next drop-in had a bite straight away, and landed this in seconds after it came to the top and obligingly floated into my net as I laid my pole level with the surface and let the elastic contract slowly.

 Two unusual incidents
1) Of course fish didn’t always come quickly, so I decided to put in bait with a bait dropper in the six-section swim, intending to go back there during one of the quiet spells. But the bait dropper came off. About an hour later, when I visited the swim again (without catching any fish) I hooked the bait dropper and got it back!

2) The platform was quite a way above the water, so when I landed a double-figure fish I had to get off my box, kneel down on the platform, and reach down to grab the net, as trying to lift the net horizontally with the fish in it would probably have broken the handle.

Once, when I grabbed the net to haul it up, the fish jumped suddenly and I dropped the net. The net fell back into the water and the handle cartwheeled over my head into the lake. Luckily it floated and I was able to jump off my box, grab my hook from the holdall, and hook the net back.

The rig was still in the water and to my amazement when I lifted the pole the fish was still on, and I was able to net it!


Peter Harrison, winner with  141 lb 6 oz
from peg 14 in the North-Eastern corner.
I now had to put bait in before every fish – if I didn’t I didn’t get a bite. Casters and hemp seemed to be the best combination, and this brought about seven more carp from the left deep margin. Each of the big ones presented me with problems – some did not go into the net easily, then I had to kneel down to grab the net to land them; then they jumped about in the net and made unhooking difficult. Twice the hook was torn from the line and I had to re-whip it.

John Garner with a barbel which
we weighed at 6 lb 8 oz.
 Then I found a spot just a few inches from where I had been fishing in the right margin which was a few inches deeper. First drop in there I found a barbel of about 5 lb. Then another smaller one, and with 40 minutes to go I went for a third net. Trevor, on peg 23, already had three. The trip to get the
net took almost 15 minutes as I had to go to the toilet, so I resumed fishing with 25 minutes to go. As I did so Trevor came back with his fourth net.

It took me ten minutes to get a 2 lb barbel, but then an 8 lb mirror came to cat meat, and then a ten-pounder. Thirty seconds before the end I hooked another big fish, but unaccountably, about three minutes later, the hook came unwhipped. It was a Kamasan Animal eyed hook, and I’d had several fish on it. The end had a piggy-wig's tail, so the line hadn't broken, it had somehow come undone. Yet I always leave a tag when I tie a hook...
John Chilton with a double-figure beauty.

The weigh-in
Mick Raby, last to weigh, threatened
to overtake my weight, but finished
with  106 lb 11 oz for fourth.
I didn’t get to see Ted (91) weigh in from peg 1, but he had a fish of 16 lb-plus. The weights on that West bank weren’t great – Terry Tribe was best, from peg 6 with 85 lb. But my bank was much better. On 14, in the corner, Peter Harrison, fishing top-two plus two with cat meat, took fish steadily all day for a winning 141 lb 6 oz.  A great performance, with the fish taken from in front of him rather than towards the corner. 

John Smith had 87 lb 7 oz, including a fish over 15 lb, and I weighed 116 lb 14 oz – the last net went 22 lb 4 oz in the last 25 minutes. I was 1 lb over in one net.


Trevor Cousins,  second on 137 lb 10 oz.

Trevor on 23 was second with 137 lb 10 oz, 65 lb of which was taken early on fishing shallow with banded pellet and the rest on corn (he’d used corn in the Saturday team match). I never tried fishing shallow because it hadn’t worked on Northview, but I probably should have. Then Mick Raby, on last peg 26, went 7 lb over in one net and needed  20 lb in his third net to beat me. But those fish weighed just 10 lb 2 oz, so I finished third. I was happy with that, from a nice peg, but not one I rated as one of the best five.




Mick Linnell (far left) watches as his  68 lb 1 oz is weighed.














The result (see also left).
The weights (1 to 13 on the Western bank, 14 back to 26, opposite bank).
Peg 1   Ted Lloyd              31 lb 9 oz
Peg 3   Wendy Bedford      35 lb
Peg 4   Peter Barnes           DNW
Peg 6   Terry Tribe             85 lb
Peg 9   Bob Allen              41 lb 12 oz  
Peg 11 Peter Spriggs         60 lb 15 oz
Peg 13 Bob Barrett            39 lb 14 oz

Peg 14 Peter Harrison       141 lb 6 oz
Peg 16 John Smith            87 lb 7 oz
Peg 18 Mac Campbell      116 lb 14 oz
Peg 20 Peter Chilton        79 lb 8 oz
Peg 22 John Garner          31 lb
Peg 23 Trevor Cousins     137 lb 10 oz
Peg 25 Mick Linnell         68 lb 1 oz
Peg 26 Mick Raby            106 lb 11 oz


No comments:

Post a Comment