Wednesday 25 May 2022

Plan A in operation on Oak, Decoy

Peg 22, Tuesday, May 24
Firstly I must refute the monstrous allegations that I moaned about having peg 22 drawn for me. Fourteen of us were fishing this Spratts match, on both banks of Oak, using alternate swims, and I simply said that I would have preferred a swim towards the Northern end of the lake - 11, 13 or 15 on the West bank or 16, 18 or 20 on the East bank, cos that's where the best weights came from on Sunday. I may have used choice and unprintable language, but me moan? Never (well hardly ever).

But peg 22, which I had fished on Sunday when I came fourth, was where I was imprisoned for the day, with a big bunch of irises preventing me from fishing the margins to the left. Not that I'm moaning, of course. Afterwards some anglerrs said they had fish spawning in their margins, but although there were a lot of swirls in mine I doubt if they were actually spawning there.

Peg 22 and those irises are still there. But the wind (and rain and hail) was in our faces.

A better margin
When I fished on Sunday Allan Golightly was on 21 to my right, and although we are allowed to fish halfway to the next platform when there's an angler there, it would have been stupid for us both to do that, as we would have been fishing the same spot, so I fished about a quarter of the way along. Today Peg 21 was unoccupied so I could fish right up to the platform if I wished. However with the facing Westerly wind, and rain forecast, I plumbed up just halfway along and found a lovely flat area about two feet deep.

Two feet is always a good depth to fish in Summer if you can find it, so that was my first option, and with the top weights on Sunday taken fishing up to four sections, that would be my second swim. And it started well  - I baited a swim at 2+2 out with micros and hemp, and then had a drop in the margin, also on 2+2, with corn. First drop I had a liner, so I knew there were fish there. But although attracted by bait, would they feed?

To my right on 20 Dick Warrener shows me a big mirror,
while he is dreaming of the fight he had with it.
Fish!
The answer came quickly - Yes. First fish, a common carp, was about 3 lb, the smallest of the day, and soon afterwards another came in at 8 lb. Then more liners so I went out to the long swim where a small piece of meat brought in another eight-pounder, followed by two lost fish on corn, which made me wary of going out there again  immediately.

Micros and a little hemp went in the margin swim, and I followed it by cupping in a couple of cups of water from a height to make a splash, and that brought two more good carp. I was surprised how warm they were - they felt lovely when I unhooked them, as the wind was quite cold. Dick Warrener from 20 came up after about an hour, and said he had three fish, while I had five. 

A bad spell for Dick
A little while after he went back he had a really bad spell for about two hours, while I started catching well - he said he should have come up to me for advice, and as it's a club match that would have been fine. I think the key was to bait with the big pot, then follow it up with about six grains of corn in the small cup, followed by my lowering the bait - a single grain of corn, straight down on top of it - not laying the rig out in a line.

The perfect elastic on the day
The Middy blue 18-22 elastic was perfect for these fish, which were mainly around 8 lb, and I was landing them fairly quickly. They kept biting, even when a hailstorm hit us. When that happened I couldn't see far, so started another margin swim nearer the platform, (which I had always intended to do) on a top two, using the same rig. First drop in the hailstorm a fish nearing double-figures came in, and I kept dropping in here to rest the longer margin swim. I had a fair number of liners, but resisted the temptation to strike unless the float went straight down and stayed there.

John Garner, on 26, had 131 lb and didn't even frame!
The four-section swim out in front of me never yielded another fish, though I tried it a couple of times, and by three o'clockish, after a  couple of heavy showers, and several more fish, all around 8 lb, I went back to the van for more nets, having used three. That last hour was probably the best hour, as in the next 40 minutes I  had another five fish around 8 lb each. I had just one fish foulhooked, which bade me goodbye and left me with a scale after a few seconds.

Then the weather altered, and we had our first glimpse of the sun, which came out to mock us with just minutes left.

My last fish - a conundrum
I hang a watch in my Nu-Fish side tray, and with it showing about ten minutes left I had another good carp, which left me with about six minutes on the clock to get another, which I duly did.  One minute left on the watch and I dropped in again, and within seconds the pole was nearly wrenched out of my hand as a fish hooked itself. I thought it was probably foulhooked and would come off. I sighed, dropped the top two down to the surface, and gritted my teeth as I looked around, to see Martin Parker, opposite, did not have his pole out. 

Peter Spriggs, top on the West bank with 172 lb 15 oz.
Notice how the sun came out especially for him!
Had the match finished (I didn't hear any shout)? To my right both Dick and Peter Harrison on 18 were playing fish, so I shouted to Alan Porter on my left: "Are we finished?" I couldn't hear his reply, but opposite, Joe Bedford signalled that it was over. So was that fished hooked before or after the end? I will never know, but I did what anyone else would do - I played it in (not foulhooked after all) and put it in my fifth net. As you do.

The weigh-in
Bob Allen did a superb job on Peg 3, on the opposite bank, taking 166 lb 2 oz, with every fish on paste.  On Peg 5 my mate John Smith couldn't catch, so asked himself: "What would Mac do?" (I used to ask myself 'what would Ivan do?'). That led to him using mussel for the first time, (which I had introduced him to) and to his delight it worked to the tune of 95 lb 8 oz, with every fish falling to mussel, a bait I didn't need to use today, though I had some with me. Top weight on that bank was Pete The Meat on 13 with 172 lb 15 oz, but on 16, the corner peg on my bank, Shaun Buddle said he might have 200 lb.

Shaun Buddle - 191 lb 13 oz using a whole mussel on the hook. He ended second.

Shaun actually weighed in 191 lb 13 oz, also taken on mussel, mainly from a swim  just out from the shallow margins, towards the corner. I also admitted to about 200 lb, which I would have had if one net hadn't been 1 lb 13 oz over our club's 50 lb limit. The total was 199 lb 14 oz, leaving me as the winner, with almost 70 lb of that taken in the last hour.
  
Me with 199 lb 14 oz, all except one fish taken on corn.

Playing those big fish made my back ache...but it was worth it. Next match is John Garner's invitation on Six Islands at Decoy. This L-shaped lake is likely to fish better in one arm than the other according to where the wind is. But I'm on a roll, and promise not to moan at my peg (at least not out loud).

THE RESULT

28 Trevor Cousins          119 lb 10 oz            3 Bob Allen            166 lb 2 oz  4th
26 John Garner          131 lb                       5 John Smith           95 lb 8 oz
24 Alan Porter                  86 lb 1 oz               7 Mike Rawson        DNW
22 Mac Campbell          199 lb 14 oz  1st        9 Joe Bedford          39 lb 11 oz
20 Dick Warrener            81 lb 4 oz               11 Martin Parker       39 lb 8 oz
18 Peter Harrison           116 lb 12 oz            13 Peter Spriggs       172 lb 15 oz  3rd
16 Shaun Buddle           191 lb 13 oz   2nd    15 Bob Barrett           65 lb 13 oz






No comments:

Post a Comment