Thursday 18 August 2022

A Comedy of Errors, by William Shakespeare (sorry - by me) on Cedar

Peg 3, Tuesday, Aug 16
The problems started after I had taken my gear to my swim, when I had to drive back to the toilet. But no problem - I felt fit as a Stradivarius violin as I walked back to my peg, only to realise I had left my lovely big Nu-Fish side tray behind. That really was inconvenient - because I was on a platform I had to place my various bait boxes either behind me on my holdall (which meant I couldn't easily open it) or on the platform (which meant if I hadn't already kicked it in, I had to get off my box and bend down every time I needed some bait).

Peg 3 - the right end of the lake, but not much in the way of long margins.

Shaun Buddle had had the same swim a few days previously, and had come next-to-last on the lake with 83 lb 15 oz. I could see possibly why - there were reeds a couple of yards each side of the platform so the only shallow swims were very close to the platform. But I was happy with 3, as on Cedar the car park end often has the edge on the other end. No matter - in the first hour I had three carp for about 16 lb out at 2+1 on a 6 mm expander pellet. Corn didn't produce a bite - only the expander. The wind gave a nice ripple, though it was from the East and almost into my face. 

A reasonable start
Those three fish seemed to me to be a reasonable start as the only other person I had seen land anything was Bob Barrett, opposite, who had one or two on feeder down the margin. Peter Spriggs on 26 (my favourite swim on the lake) didn't seem to have had anything at his usual 2+2 with cat meat or paste. But fish were moving under the surface, so I guessed Trevor on 7 would probably have mugged a few. I couldn't see him from my swim.

Wendy Bedford, smiling after the rain, on Peg 12 in  the 
corner. Behind her is her brother-in-law Joe, aged 93, who still
fishes all our matches.
The next two hours passed in a blur of boredom - two carp lost and two landed, and I can't remember where they came from! I had dropped into a nice-looking cut-back to my left, the other side of the reeds, with my pole lifted over them and then dropped parallel with the bank, and did get bites, which could have been liners or roach, but no fish. Then the sun came out and it was so hot I had to stop to put on suncream.

Rain (remember that?)
Half an hour later the sun went in and - ah! Blessed rain, just a sprinkle, so light that no-one even put on their jackets. Only the second lot of rain I have seen for a couple of months. My garden at home certainly needed it. Actually when I got home my wife said we hadn't had a drop!

Then I had a carp or two on cat meat in the right margin, potting in just two chunks of cat meat each time, where I had earlier put in a couple of big pots of dead maggot, hoping for barbel, but catching just tiny perch. Then the rain picked up a little, and I put on a my jacket. Then, almost imperceptibly the rain came down a little harder, and some put up their umbrellas. Then flashes suddenly made me realise we were actually sitting in a thunderstorm, my trousers were soaking wet under my old waterproofs (which I had been meaning to change for weeks) and my umbrella was in the van.

Joe Bedford - 42 lb 10 oz -and still as dry as a bone.
I put on my boots
Back to the van, where I changed my soaking shoes for boots. Incidentally I saw the Duke of Wellington the other day.

He was in Boots!        (sorry about that - it just slipped out).

To be honesty I hadn't expected rain, even though it has been forecast, because so many recent forecasts have been wrong. Then, putting up the umbrella was difficult because I have a back fixed to my box, and there wasn't space on the leg to fit the umbrella holder. I could have taken off the back, but by now the rain was absolutely pelting down, so I stuck the umbrella in one of the scaffold poles on the corner of the platform. It was a deep pole, the umbrella lay quite low, and I ended up almost crouching, like a garden gnome.

And bugga me, that was when the fish decided to start biting. Three or four came in, including a 3 lb barbel, and cor it was a job landing them - I had to lay the pole horizontally, and wait until the fish came to the surface, because I couldn't get it high enough because of the umbrella. And those fish really did fight, but at least I didn't lose any. And it was a real pain bending down to pick up bait from boxes no full to the brim with water. Then the rain stopped and it became quite hot.

Alan Porter with 74 lb 2 oz. I guess they were taken on a feeder, as 
Alan is a whizz using that method.
Another storm
Umbrella down and suddenly the cat meat stopped working but corn took another barbel in the same swim - the deep margin under the branch of a small bush. Then the heavy rain came down again, and up went the umbrella. The lightning flashes were so bright they hurt my eyes, even though I was cooped up under the umbrella, though mercifully the thunderclaps came several seconds later, so the lightning wasn't directly overhead. 

The surface of the lake looked as if it was hailing - huge drops, that knocked the float sideways, but the carp started biting again on corn; and I had a job landing them again. They were really warm. One little roach I plopped back into my first net, which I had estimated at 40 lb.

A distraction
It didn't help that my doctor had texted me during the match, basically asking if I fancied having a Kodak Box Brownie camera shoved down my throat to check that I really have got coeliac disease (that's caused by the body's reaction to gluten), and I kept wondering how to say that I didn't really fancy it. Sort of distracting. I decided to  swerve that investigation and go straight onto a gluten-free diet, but I haven't told him yet. Back to the important bit...

Twenty minutes before the end a lovely silver common about 7 lb came in, on corn, from the shallow margin close to the platform, where I had seen reeds moving. But after that I couldn't get a bite. Then just as the match ended the rain cleared off...I had thought before the match I would welcome rain, but when you're sitting like a drowned rat, with even the handkerchiefs in your trouser pockets wringing wet, your view of the world becomes decidedly less optimistic!

I ended with an estimated 26 lb in the second net for a total of 66 lb-ish. But I had seen Peter Spriggs catching well in his right margin, and made him favourite to win. Although I hadn't noticed it in the storm, a bedraggled John Smith had already packed up and gone home from Peg 16, where he had had four bites and three fish.

Trevor - so sophisticated he always combs his hair before I take his picture.

The weigh in, and my estimates are way out...again
I was first to weigh, and the second 26 lb net weighed 35 lb 15 oz (!), while the first 40 lb net showed 50 lb 1 oz on the scales. That little roach had taken it over, so my total was 83 lb 15 oz - exactly the same as Shaun had had a few days earlier!😃 I fully expected that to come nowhere.

Next to me on Peg 5 I had half expected Peter Harrison to have had a lot more than me, but when he totalled 79 lb 12 oz I realised things must have been more difficult than I had expected. But not for Trevor, who had had a blank first hour before mugging about 90 lb on pellet (how does he do it?) and then  adding another 70 lb on the bottom. He ended with 161 lb 13 oz.

The weights then became much lower than I had anticipated, right round to Bob Barrett on 24, and I was still lying second at that point. Not for long - Bob had winkled out  95 lb 14 oz. He was followed by the last person to weigh in, Peter on 26, who had a magnificent 194 lb 13 oz, all from that deep margin to his right on cat meat; and he hadn't put up his umbrella all day. A great job; well done, Mate.

I get a new bib and brace
So I ended fourth 😁 and last frame place but I know a drier, better-prepared angler in that swim would have caught more. And next day I bought an new Goretex bib and brace, so I can again sit out in the rain if I need to. The old bib and brace will do for those days when I just need to protect my trousers when unhooking fish. I think it was the cat meat slarred on the knees and the hard use (kneeling down and crawling about in mud time after time), which rendered them no longer waterproof, even though I had tried to re-proof them exactly as instructed. The material is actually wearing quite thin, and I have worn and abused them literally hundreds of times.

Next match at Pidley on Saturday on Crow lake, the newest on the complex. It will give me a chance to use the feeder with confidence, though I expect to change to pole later in the match.

THE RESULT
                       East Bank                                                              West Bank
26 Peter Spriggs        194 lb 13 oz           1st
24 Bob Barrett            95 lb 14 oz            3rd              3 Mac Campbell        85 lb 13 oz     4th
22 Joe Bedford           42 lb 10 oz                                5 Peter Harrison         79 lb 12 oz
20 Mike Rawson        22 lb 10 oz                                7 Trevor Cousins      161 lb 13 oz    2nd
18 Bob Allen              43 lb 10 oz    `                           9 Shaun Buddle                DNW
16 Alan Porter            74 lb 2 oz                                 11 John Garner            44 lb 7 oz
14 John Smith                DNW                                    13 Wendy Bedford      36 lb 10 oz

No comments:

Post a Comment