Wednesday 4 January 2023

First match of the year, on Beastie, Decoy

 Peg 30, Monday, Jan 2
Fifteen of us fished the first JV club match of the year with a gentle, but cold, breeze from the West. Now in Summer Peg 30 on Beastie is the sort fo draw that see anglers running down to the swim. But ib Winter it can be a different proposition, and the previous week Lee Kendall had had 34 lb from it - a nice weight but they were nearly all roach and small bream, while carp from other pegs had dominated the results.

The water level was high, and a lot of the platforms saw the wooden planks floating. I put my box down, and of course, that took the planks down to the platform and everything was stable (except that the planks beside the box were still just floating. But it was strange that when I sat down, although nothing moved, I still felt vulnerable, especially as the margin here is quite deep. Later Roy Whincup on 18 said he felt the same - very uncomfortable even though the platform was stable. By the end of the match, though, I had got used to it and was happy enough, though I took extra care. Pegs on the spit (9 to 17) were all left out for the same reason. Jim Regan had to go home ill before the match started.

Peg 30 - a cool breeze which became stronger, but still fishable at 13 metres.
 
The bomb fizzles out
My first gambit was bread on a bomb - the tactic that had won last week's match from nearby  Peg 3 for Ivy (sorry, Steve) Tilsley. To my left Barry Webb also started out, on a feeder, although the wind allowed everybody to to fish long poles. I guess nearly everybody started on a bomb or feeder, but I could see that it wasn't long before the poles came out.

I stayed on the bomb and bread for an hour with just one 6 oz bream and a couple of big liners to show for it. So it was on to maggot at 13 metres (where Lee told me he had caught). I had been flicking maggots out with a catapult, and very soon started catching small roach. But it wasn't very fast, and when a 3 oz bream came in I put four maggots on the hook, hoping to find bigger ones. But it didn't make any difference. An occasional foray back to 11.5 metres saw only roach - all the tiny bream were at 13 metres.

Roach stop me dozing off
Sport remained slow, and after 90 minutes, with only 4 lb or 5 lb in my net I had a look in the margins, after seeing Barry get a couple of better fish there. I wasted an hour, taking a gudgeon on maggot and a roach on expander, before going back out. Barry told me later he had had three small carp on the feeder, another three or so in the margin and had, in fact, hooked a much bigger fish in his margin, which had snagged him in a tree lying in the water.

Barry Webb, next to me, had only small carp.
The last hour at 13 metres saw bites quicken a little, all roach and bream, and with 12 minutes left I hooked the best fish of the day, a 1 lb 8 oz bream. But I never saw an F1 or a carp. Still, I had caught a fair number of fish.

The weigh in
I was on scales with Barry, but only for our section, which went up to Peg 7. Barry was disappointed with his 19 lb 2 oz, and I was also despondent with my 9 lb 5 oz (although that turned out not to be last). 

Round the corner on the East bank they nearly all had carp, with John Savage taking the best, which we weighed at 15 lb 4 oz. Next door on 6, Ian Frith fished maggot for about 40 lb of carp and 20 lb of silvers to win the section with 59 lb 10 oz. Gus Gausden on 7 weighed 16 lb 10 oz with not a carp in his net.

On the other section, mainly on the West bank, Rob Goodson started on 14 metres with maggot but found only roach and bream. A switch to pellet still brought only small stuff, so he came back to six metres, fishing with maggot, and stayed there for the rest of the match, catching 89 lb 7 oz from peg 23. Next door on 24 Andy Gausden had started on a bomb or feeder, but soon came back on a pole. He had to stay at 14 metres, though, for his runner-up catch of 78 lb 1 oz. Not sure how many were paid, but there would have been two section winners.

This 15 lb 4 oz beauty brightened up John Savage's day!


Great to see bream - Ian Frith included 20 lb of them in his 
 59 lb 10 oz total, the silver fish being
placed into a different keepnet to the carp.
Conclusion
First match after a month lay-off and I never felt quite "in the zone", especially since I must now be looking at maggot as my main attack, after being used to fishing expanders, hard pellet, cat meat and corn. But I will no doubt settle into some sort of new routine. With the water so cold we must look for the carp, rather than hoping they will come to feed.

Next match is Sunday, with JV - Beastie is booked for this postponed Fur and Feather, but with the water level so high and so many platforms turning out to be dodgy I suspect the match will be moved, probably to the strips where the platforms tend to be higher off the water.

No fishing-related presents for Christmas, but I have just taken possession of a counter-top freezer. I always freeze unused corn, hemp, cat meat and expanders, (and old maggots in the summer) so it will get some use and free up the bottom draw of the household freezer. 

As a by-product that will definitely make the wife happy - and hopefully let her place in the back of her mind the fact that I forgot our 52nd wedding anniversary on Tuesday.  😢😢😢

THE RESULT

3 John Hudson          31 lb 10 oz
4 Chris Saunders       29 lb 11 oz
5 John Savage           43 lb 10 oz            SECTION A
6 Ian Frith                 59 lb 10 oz  4th
7 Gus Gausden          16 lb 10 oz

8 Peter Harrison         36 lb 10 oz
18 Roy Whincup          9 lb 3 oz
20 Ernie Lowbridge     DNW
21 Lee Kendall          43 lb 14 oz           SECTION B
23 Rob Goodson          89 lb 7 oz 1st

24 Andy Gausden        78 lb 1 oz  2nd
25 Paul Faulkner          63 lb 5 oz  3rd
26 S Pell                       47 lb 2 oz
29 Barry Webb             19 lb 2 oz             SECTION  C
30 Mac Campbell           9 lb 5 oz

No comments:

Post a Comment