Wednesday 31 May 2023

A good day on Sex-Island, Decoy

Peg 15, Sunday, May 29
Every year John Garner arranges an invitation match on Six-Island, for his friends, old and new, and this year 19 of us fished. I was happy with peg 15, where Callum won our club match a couple of weeks ago, especially since the wind would be down towards that corner. However, things changed a bit when we could all see fish occasionally swirling and crashing about in the reeds near the car park, spawning.

Down at peg 15 things soon started to hot up, with massive splashes along my lefthand bank, towards the corner, and opposite in the margins of the island. That went on for at least five hours! My first thought, obviously, was to start fishing in open water.

Not much wind at the start in our little corner.

At the start there was hardly any wind, and Dick Warrener on my right, and myself, found it hard going. I took an F1 of about 1 lb on a 6mm expander fished well out, and then saw Kev Beavis on 18 land a couple of fish. But it was a long time before Dick had his first carp, fishing in the margins with a pellet. 

Two fish shallow
I still didn't fancy going anywhere near the spawning fish, so tried a corn skin shallow. There weren't many fish showing on the top, but when I saw what looked like two or three together I plonked my bait in front of them and within a second the elastic had stretched. It all happened so fast that I assumed it was a fish foulhooked, but No! A four-pounder was hooked in the mouth.

I thought I had taken a video of fish spawning in
the corner, but must have got it wrong. 👎 Debris
soon accumulated along the bank for a metre out.
Nearly an hour later I had another carp shallow, purely by accident. I'd had the bait lying out there about 18 inches deep, and decided to bring it in and try something else. I took the first two sections off, turned my head to guide the next two over the rollers, and felt resistance - a fish had taken the bait. Pure luck, but it ended in my net.

I have to try close in
Halfway through, and the pegs around 18 now had some ripple, but it wasn't coming down to us. But Dick now started to find fish in the side, mainly fishing to his left, towards me. There was one small area where fish didn't seem to be swirling - about four feet from my platform, to the right. So I used my 'special' method for the first time recently, with corn, and took a big carp. Obviously I stayed there for a time, taking half-a-dozen more, and putting in just a little hemp and half-a-dozen grains of corn at a time. I then had a terrible spell where fish came off, including two obviously foulhooked.

Some I landed were hooked in the snout or the chin, so they were not taking the bait properly. Most took after I had lifted the corn. Leaving it stationary meant bites came much more slowly.

After losing several fish I had a look just to my left, on the short top, away from the bank, but where there were clouds of mud coming up. Nothing! I reckon the fish were super-sensitive because of the spawning, and managed to avoid my rig. Around this time I saw Kev Beavis on 20 landing more fish, as did Shaun McKenna on 17, round the corner to my left, while Dick was also taking fish steadily. I though he was beating me.

Catch One Get One Free
Back to the right margin, still only feet from the platform, and more fish came, though they sometimes took a lot of persuading, one or two more came off and once, when I netted an eight-pounder there were two fish in my landing net! Only the second time that has ever happened to me. I had seen that mine was a mirror, so I shouted out that I'd got two, and put the slightly-smaller common back. Funnily enough I hadn't seen the other fish swim in, and didn't see it until I lifted the net...
Dick Warrener's best fish must have been at least 10 lb.

When bites slowed there I tried way out to the left, where Callum had had most of his fish in the previous match there, but never had a bite. I couldn't get in close to the bank at all, as debris and reeds had piled up against the bank for a good metre out. Fish were still swirling in the rubbish, and I was sure I'd get carp in the deeper water about four feet out, especially as the wind was now giving me a ripple there, but never had a touch.

The victim of a trick
One ten-pounder, hooked in the right margin, played a trick on me. I thought I had it beaten and broke down to the top two, whereupon it made a play for my nets. We engaged in a tug-of-war for about a minute, which ended with it coming out from the nets twice, but then managing to get round the righthand net and hooking the hook into it. Fish lost...and I might have said a naughty word, very quietly. I was fuming, because it was entirely my own fault.

I had clicked about 35 lb in my first two nets (fishing to a 50 lb maximum) when I put in the third with half an hour to go. I'd not been at all confident at the start, so had put in only two. Now it's strange how many times getting up and putting in a third net results in a long blank spell after a really good spell. But not today! I had a seven-pounder within two or three minutes, and two more followed in the next 20 minutes. That's not fantastic when the fish are feeding well, but today was obviously proving quite difficult for everyone, and I fancied I was now doing as well as I possibly could.

A very big fish
Literally four minutes to go and I hit a big fish. After a couple of very powerful runs I had it in the landing net, using the short top, which I have found brilliant. But it was very heavy, and I had a job pulling the net in. The fish was thrashing about - always a problem when you land a fish quickly - and though I strained every muscle trying to keep the net high, suddenly it actually jumped over the rim. It was definitely at least 15 lb, and probably bigger.

The fish was still hooked, and made a powerful run towards Shaun McKenna 25 yards away. I gritted my teeth and stuck the pole tip under the water, and everything held. I had a short Number three attached, and that allowed me to use the puller with that section still attached - another massive advantage of using the short top.

Disaster
The fish came straight back into the net, and lay still. I had to swing the net round to my right, into the bank, and slowly reach down to grab the net itself. Up onto my lap, and disaster!

I had seen a small hole, about half-an-inch across, earlier, and now the fish had its mouth just in that hole. I wasn't bothered...until it suddenly thrashed its tail and with a split second had glided through the hole and plopped back down the front of the platform. For a second I thought I could push the pole, through the hole and perhaps land it, but the rig had broken, and the hole in the net was now a lot bigger...

Good to see Kev Beavis on the bank. He weighed 99 lb 9 oz on peg 20.
I carry two spare landing nets in the van, and if I had realised that the one I was using had rotted I would have changed immediately. I really had no idea, as there were no other holes in it. And that carp could have been the biggest I have ever landed. It was huge, by match standards.

Dick had a spare net with him, but there was only a minute left and by the time I'd screwed it on I had only seconds left. Even so, I do believe that given a few more seconds I would have had another fish, as suddenly the air seemed warmer, and I was 'in the zone'. But I didn't.






The weigh in
Dave Garner, one of our most consistent anglers, on 2, had a bad day - 12 bites and just three fish, for 20 lb 2 oz. Shaun Buddle took the lead on 3 with 83 lb 6 oz, but Peter Spriggs, fishing to the side bank on 9, had 119 lb 2 oz. I was surprised that some of the others hadn't had 100 lb-plus, and was amazed when Dick weighed in only 68 lb 15 oz, as I was sure he'd got twice that amount. It seemed that every time I looked up either he or Steve Engledow, on the next peg, was playing a fish! 
Organiser John Garner with 64 lb 5 oz on peg 8.

I admit that I do concentrate quite hard when fishing, so obviously I hadn't looked up as much as I thought I had. I estimated I had 90 lb, but my fish went 113 lb 6 oz - nets of 44 lb, 48 lb and 20 lb approx. That was second, round to Trevor Cousins on 22, who had just two fish mugging in the first two hours, and who then went down the margins, to finish with 110 lb 4 oz. 

I ended second, and either of my two lost fish would have won me the match. C'est la guerre.

Definitely a match for me on Elm 1-12 on Sunday, and back to Six-Island on Monday, complete with my spare landing net. Looks like being a North or North-Easterly again, and I would pick around 7-9 on Elm and 8 round to 15 on Six-Island, or 18 or 19.




Steve Engledow and Dick Warrener next door had a good battle - 15 oz between them!


Trevor Cousins, third after taking just two fish shallow in the first two hours.


Peter Spriggs - yet another win, this time on Peg 9, with 119 lb 2 oz. Well done!

THE RESULT
2 Dave Garner           20 lb 2 oz
3 Shaun Buddle         83 lb 6 oz
4 Callum Judge         45 lb 10 oz
6 Bob Allen                54 lb 1 oz
8 John Garner             64 lb 5 oz
9 Peter Spriggs         119 lb 2 oz        1st
10 James Garner        73 lb 8 oz
11 Mel Lutkin            55 lb 12 oz
12 Roland Butcher     56 lb 5 oz
13 Steve Engledow    68 lb
14 Dick Warrener       68 lb 15 oz
15 Mac Campbell     113 lb 6 oz      2nd
17 Shaun McKenna    92 lb 5 oz      5th
18 Wendy Bedford       DNW     
19 Mick Rawson         DNW
20 Kevin Beavis         99 lb 9 oz     4th
22 Trevor Cousins    110 lb 4 oz     3rd
24 Allan Golightly     58 lb
25 Joe Bedford            DNW


No comments:

Post a Comment