Friday 24 May 2024

I trip up on Beastie, but end up smelling of roses

Peg 4, Wed, May 22
Rain was forecast, and rain obliged - all night, and up to halfway through the match, when it stopped occasionally before strting again, just to let us know who was boss. We'd already given in at the draw, when this 13-entry Spratts match was moved from Oak to Beastie, because of the likelihood that the bank round Oak would be a mess by the time we had finished, if not before the start. So next week we will be on Oak, instead of Beastie, assuming that we don't have another solid week of rain.

Even so, we had an early casualty, when John Smith, who has dodgy knees, withdrew because many of the pegs on Beastie have steps down, and he's almost come a cropper on one in the past. That left 12 of us to battle it out in the rain. I drew peg 6, which has just one step down. BUT it was shelving at about 45 dgrees down, towards the platform. I didn't fancy getting down there, but thought I'd at least try. 

My complete box is too heavy to carry, which is why I always unclip the of part of the box and seat, and carry the rest separately. So, with the frame and footplate attached to the bottom draws of the box, I stood on the bank ready to descend. I couldn't get any purchase on the step, so stood on my right leg at the top and dropped my left leg down to the platform. It touched the wet wood but the heel slipped forwards and I fell down the bank onto the platform, where I finished on my back, still holding the frame.

As I fell I had the horrible thought that I would roll off into the water, but thankfully I didn't. However, I ended on my back, holding the box, trying to work out how I could put it down but still give me enough room to turn over and scramble back up. At least no bones were broken.

Help turns up
Then my Fairy Godfather turned up in the form of Peter Harrison, on the next peg who must have heard the clump, and who put my box on the platform and hauled me bodily back to dry land (actually very wet land as it was still raining). Thanks, Peter. I was OK, but said I'd go home - I wasn't going to risk a repeat, especially since you need to do it several times before and after the match.

So I was reloading my trolley when Trevor Cousins on peg 3 said I could fish peg 4 if I wished. I had a look, and it seemed OK. I was back in business! But I decided to keep it simple, and never even attempted to put up my feeder rod.

The match
The rain was not particularly heavy, but steady, and while Trevor and Peter fished without brollies, I was able to get mine up, as what wind there was came from the West, into our faces, and I hate the rain on my spectacles. It kept me pretty dry, and first cast out on a pole at 2+3 with corn saw a small F1 come in. A few more followed in the first hour, though Trevor, on my left, had a proper carp or two on a feeder cast to the island. Peter on my right also had a good carp, I think, from the splashing.

To my left was a bush in the water, where I had been flicking corn. I now couldn't resist a look, and first drop next to the bush brought a a bite and a 2 lb bream. There was a small drop-off, and I couldn't make up my mind whether the bream were feeding on the top or down the bottom of the shelf. They seemed to move up and down.

Peter Harrison, next to me, found a couple of really
nice carp to add to his bream and F1s.
More bream
Anyway, after another hour and a half I had netted several more nice bream to 3 lb, and one F1. A change to worm to target the bream brought a foulhooked gudgeon, a roach and a perch, so that experiment was ditched and I carried on using corn, or cat meat, which they seemed to like as much as corn.

Halfway though, the rain had stopped for a little while before spitting again, but I had filled one net, estimating it at 35 lb, started a second, and put some hemp and corn in the right margin. That brought two F1s really quickly, but then only small taps and liners. I think that Peter and Trevor also had a difficult spell at that time, and I saw Trevor striking a lot but missing almost everything. The fish were playing Silly Buggas.

Maggots liven the fish up
Then I dumped some manky dead maggots in the bush swim, and it brought it alive again, and a 4 lb carp also obliged, while the bream left and the occasional F1 took corn. Funnily enough a bunch of dead maggots didn't produce even a liner. It was still quite warm, despite the rain, and the fish were very warm indeed.

I wasted a bit of time right in the side, when I saw carp moving there. Plenty of liners, but they wouldn't take the bait. So it was back out on the 2+3 swim with corn and immediately small fish took the bait, and a couple of carassio before things slowed down. I had at least 35 lb in the second net now and with 25 minutes left I put in some cat meat in front of me on a top two and started a new swim. First drop with cat meat dsaw a 7 lb carp come in. That went into the third net (Spratts fish to a definite 50 lb max).

Trevor, on my left, had his best carp on feeder and a
small pink wafter cast almost to the island.
Fish on; fish off...
Next drop with cat meat and a big fish was on, but it came off. Then another big fish, which was obviously foulhooked and the 18-22 elastic stretched out so far that, while still holding only three sections, I saw the fish surface three-quarters of the way across to the island! That must have been 40 yards away. Never seen that elastic stretch like it.

Everything stopped for a moment and I thought the fish had turned. But it made another lunge and bang! Lost the lot. I picked up another top, with 18-22 elastic, dropped in, and seconds later hooked another fish on mussel. I'm sure it wasn't foulhooked, but it came off. In again and immediately another big fish  took a mussel - again foulhooked. The same thing happened - it chugged out like submarine, the elastic stretched, and I had no chance. Gone. 

Picked up a third rig with 13 elastic, and hooked another big one on corn (this had a size 16 on) which semed to be going alright, until the hook pulled. So I lost the last five fish,and now the match ended. Why didn't I try that front swim earlier?

Mike Rawson looks pretty pleased with his 34 lb 3 oz from the
spit, peg 13, as Trevor and Peter do the honours.
I estimated that I had about 80 lb, and that Peter Harrison, on my right, must have at least double that, because for the last hour or two, almost every time I looked up his elastic was stretching out.

The weigh-in
I was surprised that Trevor had 'only' 97 lb 4 oz, because he had a much better start than I did. I was next to weigh, and John Garner took my third net up for weighing, which showed that my 7 lb carp in fact weighed 8 lb 6 oz. Next John took up the 35 lb second net. He huffed and puffed his way to the net, which was a full six feet away muttering something about "35 lb!"

Heads were turned towards me as the scales showed 57 lb-plus! I was mortified - you can't afford to give these blokes 7 lb. Then the first 35 lb net was weighed - phew. The scales ran round to 48 lb 2 oz. Made that one by the skin of my teeth. Total 107 lb 8 oz. And so to Peter.

Apologies to John Garner, who had 79 lb, for badly
underestimating the nets he pulled up for me!
But it appeared that although Peter was really busy towards the end, the fish were not big, and he weighed in 50 lb-plus in each net. Not sure how much he had to drop, but he ended with 100 lb. So I wasn't the only one to under-estimate. Round to the spit, where there was another 100 lb-plus catch, but Peter Spriggs fell just short of my bag. However Neil Paas,who took all his fish on mussel, had his 125 lb 12 oz from peg 24 for the win, fishing several different areas on a shortish pole. Last to weigh was Shaun Buddle, on rated peg 30, who couldn't quite make the ton and had to settle for 91 lb 1 oz.

So I ended second, and if I'd landed two, or possibly even one of those lost fish (and not gone overweight) I could have won.

Marks out of ten
I should have had a swim in the slightly-deeper water in front of me much earlier, just to drop in and have a look from time to time. But at least I thought I had set my stall out adequately, considering the problems rain always causes - I didn't even try live maggots though, and perhaps I should. I had just a handful for the hook in a small tin. Not sure what I could have done with those wretched foulhookers, though. I had landed a couple of big F1s foulhooked, and lost a couple, but those last one really had me stumped. I was careful to wait until I was fairly sure I had got a proper bite before striking. But c'est la vie. Probably worth 7/10.

My next match is John Garner's Invitation on Cedar on Sunday. Looking forward to that after I have tied some more strong rigs!

The miracle
There was one astounding incident. Halfway through, Dick Warrener walked round saying he was looking for his wallet, which he'd had in his back pocket and was now missing. I assumed it must be either in his car, or had fallen out as he sat on his box. No - he had looked everywhere.

Dick went home (he lives nearby) and checked there, and came back. Picking up his landing net he dropped it out in front of his platform, and trawled it along the bottom towards the bank, in case it had fallen in. A pretty long shot, you will agree.

FIRST TIME he pulled up his net and there was his wallet! Unbelievable. What were the chances? We suggested he immediately go and buy a lottery ticket.

Dick found his wallet...along with this 14 lb 6 oz mirror!
THE RESULT

 3 Trevor Cousins        97 lb 4 oz
 4 Mac Campbell        107 lb 8 oz        2nd
 5 Peter Harrison        100 lb                4th
 9 Bob Barrett               45 lb 3 oz 
 13 Mike Rawson          34 lb 3 oz
 15 Martin Parker          40 lb 15 oz
 17 Peter Spriggs         100 lb 12 oz    3rd
 18 Mick Ramm             25 lb 14 oz
 22 John Garner             79 lb
 23 Dick Warrener         48 lb 1 oz
 24 Neil Paas                125 lb 12 oz    1st
 30 Shaun Buddle           91 lb 1 oz




No comments:

Post a Comment