This was a Spratts match, held on pegs 5 to 12 of Damson, and as usual Trevor did the draw. When Roy Whitfield's name came out it was followed by "Eleven". Now that's a good draw - there's a bush to the left, which has been trimmed down, and when it was much bigger fish would always be under it. There's a shallow spot next to the bank, and round that there's a deeper area which always seems to hold fish.
I must have let out a groan when the swim went to Roy, because when my name came out Trevor asked me where I'd like to be drawn. I said "Ten" because that's the nearest swim to that little bush. But number 12 came out. Now what's the point of asking where I'd like to be drawn if I don't get it? It's like my wife asking me what we should do now, and I tell her...and again I never get it!
Damson always holds fish somewhere in the swim for some of the time (though today I had seen only one fish, while usually there are lots showing themselves before the match), and I had casters with me, so casters shallow it would be.
Not today I didn't. I stuck with casters for about 20 minutes, with just one tiny roach on banded caster, and that fell off! Meanwhile Roy on my left had fish on a pole so I changed to corn down the side. Eventually I had a fish, a 1 lb F1, and I think Roy had hd seven or eight, and he then went on to his favourite feeder, cast to the island. I'd left my rods in the van, but I had no island to cast to in any case, so I blundered on.
Slowly I found F1s and then carp on corn, while feeding hemp and caster, but I had to come very close to the bank to get a bite, in my left margin. Of course I also went into the right margin, but waving reeds made it difficult to see every little knock on the float, and I'd left my hook in the van as well. No matter, I managed to knock some of the reeds down, out of my eyeline, and started to catch very slowly on both sides, mainly carp of 2 lb-plus.
![]() |
| There was a lot of splashing to my left as Roy found fish on the feeder. |
Fish to 7 lb
I trundled on because I was catching the occasional fish of 4 lb-plus, with the best at 7 lb. I saw that John Smith on my right on peg 13, was catching good fish from the deep water. I'd got a rig ready for that, but carried on in the margin. Roy then had a purple spell on the feeder, hooking fish after fish within seconds of casting out. I should have gone out into the deep water at that point, but I only went out there in the last hour, by which time even John was catching hardly anything. Roy also started to catch a few by dropping his feeder down into the shallow margin.
My original rig didn't seem right so I put on a heavier float for the deep swim and managed to get just three or four carp on cat meat in that last hour. I don't think John had any in that last hour. I guessed Roy had twice as many fish as me, almost 200 lb; while I had something over 90 lb in my three nets.
The weights started in the 50s and 60s with Neil Paas totalling 105 lb 10 oz from peg 9. I'd seen Neil catching a lot of fish towards the end when I couldn't get a bite, as had Kevin next to him, so I was certain I was well down the list.
![]() |
| Neil Paas sees his fish being weighed, pen in hand. John Smith watches. |
My three nets went approximately 34 lb, 44 lb and 27 lb, giving me a total of 107 lb 3 oz, and putting me a very surprised second with just John to weigh in corner peg 13. He said he'd had trouble losing fish, and rigs, in the reeds, but his total of 156 lb 10 oz won the match. Well done, John, who is almost (not quite) the oldest man there. He is pipped by myself, and Mick Ramm, who is just months older than me.
So I ended third, which should have been fourth. Roy would have been second (by ounces), but life's full of woulds and shoulds, isn't it?
The lower numbers seemed to have a lot of F1s in their nets, while myself and John had a lot more mirrors and commons. I put mine down to using hemp and caster, but perhaps the carp were just more concentrated towards our end.
I deliberately left my rods in the van because I took my hardcase containing my short kits. I would probably have tried a feeder in the side if I'd had a rod set up, but it's so easy to confuse one's self, and I used about five different pole rigs anyway. I'd always intended to concentrate on the pole shallow, which is why I left the rods behind. The bottom line is I enjoyed it, and third place in that club is pretty good, so I give myself 7/10. Next match was the next day on Elm.
THE RESULT
6 Trevor Cousins 66 lb 3 oz
7 Bob Barrett 32 lb 4 oz
8 Mick Ramm 35 lb 14 oz
9 Neil Paas 105 lb 10 oz
10 Kevin Lee 141 lb 10 oz 2nd
11 Roy Whitfield 75 lb
12 Mac Campbell 107 lb 3 oz 3rd
13 John Smith 156 lb 10 oz 1st


No comments:
Post a Comment