Friday 1 December 2017

Stabilising an umbrella

I have recently seen forums about umbrellas in high winds. I've never found anything better than the little gizmos which slip onto the end of an umbrella rib and screw into a bankstick. But I can't remember what they are called.

Here are a couple of pictures to show them. Because my umbrella is a Preston Flat Back the ribs are too thick to take the gizmo, so I have wired mine on using thick, plastic-coated garden wire.

The bank stick must be extending. Screw the stick into the ground to below the gizmo; unclip the centre portion; slide it up to the gizmo and screw the centre portion of the bankstick (the female thread) over the gizmo's male thread; adjust the tension, and clip the centre in place. I have one on each side of my umbrella.
The gizmo wired to a thick Flat Back rib.
The bankstick in place.

There's nothing better for stopping the umbrella from moving in a high wind, provided you also have the normal umbrella rope in place and also pin the Flat Back down by the two D-rings provided on the material. I just wish I could find out what they are called!

No comments:

Post a Comment