Sunday 17 June 2018

Broken pole, but I catch some fish


Match Lake, North View, Gedney, peg 15

I love this water – proper margins, flat grassy banks, perfectly-conditioned carp, and you can take your car to your peg. Such a pity that the owners are considering stopping matches after next year, citing bad treatment of fish, which sounds odd to me. But, like many other fisheries, they have lodges and caravans on site,and maybe they prefer to deal with specimen and ‘pleasure’ anglers, as they have two other lakes, including one Specimen lake for which I believe there are season tickets. There’s not a lot of information on the fishery as they don’t have a website and the match lake has no rules displayed, but obviously we knew the basics, and stuck to our 50 lb maximum club rule.

There were 12 of us – some members unable to attend – and I was slightly disappointed to see that my peg, on the far side of the lake, had no bare bank I could fish against, unlike a lot of others, including most most of those on the opposite bank, on the roadside. There the water shallows up to 10 inches in places – the ideal spot to see big carp coming close.  I had reeds going out at 45 degrees on my left, and another bunch on my right, preventing me being able to fish against the bank there.
Reeds to the left of me; reeds to the right of me...


Sort of a good start
The day was mainly cloudy, with sun for the last few minutes. I took a 2 lb carp very early on pellet on top two plus three, just over a ledge which went down to five feet, and as soon as I had potted in pellets fish had started moving just under the surface. I put the carp in the keepnet and switched immediately to a shallow rig, but never had a touch for 20 minutes. This is not something I am very good at, so although I was putting my pellets out accurately I gave up on that. Out again fishing deep, but no fish, so I came in to the reeds on my left in about three feet of water, and got a three-pounder immediately on luncheon meat. Then no more bites, so I had a look to my right, in the shallowest water I could easily fish a couple of feet from the reeds, and took a carp first drop-in on corn, then no more.

The water was well coloured, and looked good, but then light rain started to fall, and the wind started blowing into my face from the right, so I put on my Gortex jacket.  I kept moving round the swims with odd fish, then the wind started to blow harder and swung round into my face. I put out a Method feeder for a few minutes, but never had a touch.

Tragedy
At one point  I hooked my keepnet, and had to push my pole behind me to kneel down and unhook it. I did that successfully, sat down...and heard a crack. The end of my Number Four, about 10 inches long, was no longer attached to the rest of the section! A lovely clean break.

That’s always a bit of a downer, but I telescoped it, and it looked perfect, and I was able to fish the rest of the match using just three sections, but I did have to add the fourth section occasionally, to cope with the better fish, with no problems. After two hours I had about eight fish for 25 lb, and had a wander up to secretary John, who admitted to about the same, but said that James, two swims to my right, had started catching well. As I wandered back James asked me: “Did you break your pole?” I said yes, and he said he had heard it. It’s an unmistakeable sound and I’ve heard it too many times – never on a fish; always my own fault.

Good spells when the wind dropped
Back to my peg and the rain had stopped, but the wind had now swung round to come from the front left. I decided to concentrate on the two closer swims, and slowly the fish started to come – lucheon meat to the left and corn to the right. But as so often  happens the fish would come in for five minutes when I fed and then move off. Every time the wind abated for a few minutes I got bite after bite. As soon as it picked up sport slowed.  When I could fish properly I was able to add about 25 lb in half an hour before the wind ruined it. There was such a skim on the water that presentation was affected.

Would a drilled bullet work?
I have toyed with the idea of fishing a small drilled bullet to get the bait down and hold it in position in strong winds. I am sure it will work, and some years ago I made up such a rig, but can’t find it.

Anyway, another good 15 minute spell saw me catch four or five more, up to 6 lb, with red Hydro and Middy Blue 20 solid essential to keep even the two-pounders from dashing into the reeds – I was fishing only a metre from them most of the time. One fish turned out to be a 2 lb rudd, though an old one which was golden but a bit battered. I love big rudd, and am reminded of a short poem by the late Patrick Chalmers, describing the rudd:

A kind of roach, all tinged with gold;
Strong, broad and thick, most lovely to behold.

I need my third net
With half an hour to go I got out my third net, with an estimated approximately 40 lb in each of the first two, and almost 20 lb went into this, though unaccountably I lost two or three in this spell, probably not foulhooked – I foulhooked and lost only a couple early on, lifting out and hitting something close to the surafce; they both came off quickly. With 20 minutes to go the sun stopped me seeing the exact spot to the right where I had had most of my fish. No matter how I squinted or moved about  I couldn’t see the float properly, and had to concentrate on the lefthand swim.  I was playing a 4 lb fish on the whistle – that’s  happened a lot recently, which put me even farther behind in the packing-up stakes as I usually am. I guessed I might have 100 lb.

“Error”
First to weigh was Callum, 87 lb, and I had 19 lb 8 oz in my first net. So I then wondered whether I would beat Callum, with 40 lb-ish in the other two, but thinking I might have over-estimated. Out came the next net; then that horrible feeling as the weighers-in looked at the scales, back to me, and the onlookers (who pretend to be my mates)  gleefully shouted: “Error!” That  net was 2lb-plus over 50 lb; and the final one was 3 lb over, bringing another shout.  How do I keep doing that they asked? I have no idea...I stopped at 40 lb on the clicker on one and at 39 lb on the other...Mr Mainwaring would have the answer...
I manage to scrape into third spot, despite two nets being cut back to 50 lb.


Dave Garner, on the roadside bank, who always uses rod and line, took 164 lb – a wonderful performance. I went round to take his picture, only to discover my phone had run out of battery. So it was back to the car to use my portable charger and get enough power in it to takea picture of the result sheet. My error on the nets didn’t cost me, as Tony Nisbet had 109 lb, mainly on pellet,  and I finished second.

If the wind had been a little kinder I am sure I could have won. But winning matches is all about taking advantage of any good luck the draw brings or which you get during the match. So later I thought perhaps I hadn’t fished too badly, particularly as young James, next to me, had 74 lb, and he is noted for getting big weights..

Next match tomorrow (Monday) on Yew, at Decoy. I am going to use my Browning Sting, a put-in pole, as I’ve already taken the broken section on my  Z12 to be mended locally. For a change I intend to have an easy day and just fish close-in, probably with cat meat, as there are some big carp on Yew. Unfortunately the Sting doesn’t have pullers, so I may have to add the third section to land the bigger fish. But the sections on this pole are shorter than normal anyway.

HOOKING WEED
So many times I get a bite, strike, and pull up a piece of weed or small twig. It’s perplexed me for ages, but I think I may have worked it out.

I now suspect that the bait  touches the weed, which momentarily straightens the line, and at this point a fish hits the line, giving what looks like a bite, and pulling the hook into the weed, which causes the float to submerge.

If the bait is not impeded by the weed the ‘bite’ will look different, the float won’t go below the surface, and the movement  be immediately recognised as a liner.

That’s my theory, anway.

No comments:

Post a Comment