Wednesday 13 June 2018

Stupid Boy!


Beastie Lake, Decoy, peg 24

This is my bogey peg – it’s highly rated by the regulars, but I just can’t frame from it, though I nearly managed it on Monday. I fished it a couple of times on the trot in the Winter and failed abysmally to make an impression. Nigel Baxter rates it one of the best pegs on the lake.

The morning was hot and flat calm, and hundreds of carp were showing just under the surface, sun bathing but not interested in any bait. Nevertheless Martin, to my left, was soon fishing shallow at 13 metres and hooking fish occasionally. I started at 11.5 metres (that’s Browning metres, so the genuine length) with the intention of coming shallow eventually. A 4 lb carp soon came in on pellet, plus a small bream, and I started getting liners, so came shallow. Half-an-hour later I’d not had a touch and John, on my right, hit some carp fishing deep water not far out, so I changed.
Flat calm, bright sun, and the fish sunning themselves.


I lose my way
An F1 came in quickly to corn fished to my right, about a metre from the bank on a gentle slope, then a couple of roach, and I went out again, and snared an F1. From then on I rather lost my way, swapping to a swim on the left with corn and getting the odd barbel on cat meat, then back to the right, and out again, without ever dropping into any pattern. I went shallow again, had a 3 lb F1 first drop, and then couldn't get a bite, although I was feeding accurately. However, bream to 2 lb came occasionally fromk the inside swims, but I couldn’t keep them coming. Stupidly I think I must have forgotten to click these. I blame the baking, relentless sun.

The lefthand swim, about a metre out, brought a 5 lb carp and some F1s in the last hour, and I lost a couple of barbel which gave me no chance, diving straight into my keepnets. The big bugbear was roach – they just refused to let my cat meat sink. At one point I was fishing a 2gm float with the shot just two inches above the hook...and still the roach were intercepting it on the way down, and knocking  and nibbling the bait off. I decided to put a big piece of paste on, but couldn’t find it, and assumed I had left it at home.

I hit a BIG carp
Then, with 34 lb on my clicker and half an hour to go I started fishing even closer to the bank, to the left, where the water was little more than a foot deep, with corn. A barbel and an F1 came, which went into my second net, as I thought I probably 40 lb in the first, and then I hit a really big carp, which surfaced right next to the bank as I struck into it and I remember thinking: “I hope that’s not the one I have hooked!” But it was...

Several times my purple Hydro was stretched halfway to the island which is about 50 yards away, where the fish surfaced, and I was absolutely certain that the hook would pull. But it didn’t. I was thankful I had managed to add all my pole sections to 11.5 metres, as without that I would have stood no chance.

When the fish seemed to have lost a bit of energy I plunged the tip as far under the surface as I could, and prayed. Quietly. Thirty seconds later I lifted the pole and the fish had come right back. It made a few lumbering circles of the landing net and eventually obligingly flicked its tail and swam straight in. It was big, and difficult to unhook, as if you get them in fairly quickly they twist and turn in the net. But is was hooked fairly in the mouth and I managed to get the hook out almost immediately, though it flapped once and almost jumped out of the landing net just as I slipped it into the keepnet.

My last gasp carp - all 16 lb 1 oz of it.
Three minutes to go, and there’s always the possibility that another big one is around, so I dropped back...and promptly hooked a snag. That’s always the way...just when I wanted a simple drop in. I had to use my long hook, break the line, and put out another rig with cat meat. Seconds later the match ended.


The weigh-in
Martin weighed 102 lb 2 oz, mainly F1s, and told me he had been using a jigger rig. I’ve made a couple up myself, but didn’t think about using one. It might have made a difference. I reckoned I had perhaps 60 lb with the big carp. Wrong! My first net weighed 59 lb 8 oz, knocked back to 50 lb. How did that happen? The big carp was weighed at 16 lb 1 oz, and I totalled 73 lb 7 oz, which should have been 83 lb if I hadn’t been such an idiot. Trevor had enjoyed himself on peg 3 using a pellet waggler all day and casting to within a metre of the island for his 88 lb, which took third spot.

Trevor loves his rod and line.
Terry Tribe was in one of my favourite pegs, 2, and weighed 84 lb 13oz for fourth, and Peter Spriggs on 5 fished a top two towards the tree on his left. This is a barbel-holding spot (though they don’t always show) and he connected with several, losing three floats under the tree – there’s big undercut there. Carp also came to his home-made paste, and he finished a deserving winner with 144 lb 10 oz – a lovely day’s sport.


Peter Barnes, unplaced today.
So I was fifth, but if I had clicked properly and added just one more decent carp, or landed just one of those two late barbel, it would have placed me third. And I had my paste with me all the time – lurking in my bait bag. A day I made a lot of mistakes, one of which was failing to fish the simplest line of top two plus two, which I am still annoyed about. The next day I bought a bigger bait bag, so my stuff is not as cramped, and I should be able to access it all more easily.


The result - someone should have gone to Specsavers
as Peter Harrison was placed fifth!  o( * ! * )o

Winner Peter Spriggs - 144 lb 10 oz on top two.
This weekend sees me on the match lake at North View, Gedney, which I like very much. It’s been kind to me and is easy to fish – you can get the car to most pegs and the banks are flat and grassy.

DECOY – WHAT A GREAT PLACE
I love fishing Decoy. The fishing is so good, with no duff pegs in the complex, the shop holds all the baits I might need, plus some tackle, and I’ve always found owner Di very helpful. So how about this for service: Di’s partner John, who serves in the shop, rang me this week. I’d had to miss last year’s three-day Decoy festival for the first time in years. I forget why – probably a hospital appointment. Anyway, invites always go out to last year’s competitors, so I didn’t get one, but mentioned to another angler that I’d have to miss it this year.

John heard about our conversation and took the trouble to ring me to say there was a place available, and would I like it? After a quick consultation with ‘Er Indoors and a check on the calendar I had to admit that I’ve got a lot on that week, so I had to regretfully refuse the offer. But what other fishery would think about a regular and actually ring to ask if they’d like to fish? That’s class for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment