Saturday 17 November 2018

Christmas cheer - Cedar, Decoy.


Our Spratts Christmas match was on Cedar Lake at Decoy, and with 13 fishing we took the 13 pegs on the West bank, 1 to 13. I wanted one of the early ones, because these often have the edge on this lake, but Number 11 stuck to my fingers. The weather was cloudy – we didn’t see the sun all day - with a cool South-Easterly breeze into our faces from the right.

John Garner got proceedings underway 45 minutes before the match started when he cast out a feeder, with hook attached, to the far bank to clip up...and hooked a carp. Halfway through playing it to the side he realised he hadn’t got his landing net made up. I walked over, phone in my hand, and had to decide whether to put his landing net together or take a picture.

I took the picture.
This is what happens when you cast out, with hook attached,
before the match starts, and you haven't set up your landing net.
John Garner demonstrates the one-handed no-handle method.


Excitement over, and when the match started I put out some micros and corn to 12 metres, flicked some maggots into the deepwater margin to my left, and looked up to see Rob Allan, on peg 12, playing a 5 lb carp. Out went my Method feeder but after 30 minutes nothing had taken the corn bait; Rob hadn’t had another bite; John was fishless on 13 in the corner; and I hadn’t seen anyone in the three pegs to my right catch either.

Margin fun
A switch to the 12-metre pole line didn’t see a single touch, so with 90 minutes gone I tried the margin, on a top two. Tiny roach were obviously intercepting my maggot bait on the way down, but I caught a few to 2 oz before a 2 lb ide came in – foulhooked. It was fun catching at least something, but after a gudgeon or two, and some more roach and perch and a good fish lost in the first few seconds I felt I had to go out to 12 metres again.

In the next couple of hours Rob had two or three fish on a feeder cast right over, Peter Barnes on my right had one or two small ones on feeder and maggot, and I managed a roach and a 2 lb bream, followed, after a long interval, by a 7 lb carp and another of 3 lb.

Back into the side, and all the catcheable fish had gone, so the 12-metre line called again. I had to alter my depth to get the corn just touching bottom – half an inch too deep and I didn’t get a bite; but when I got it right three more carp from 4 lb to 2 lb came quickly. I tried fishing off bottom with corn and expander,  but never had a touch. Then a lull, and with an hour to go I reverted to the Method, with corn, cast right over. Three carp came in three casts, best about 6 lb, but the last half-hour was fruitless.
Camera - Action! This is Peter Barnes on the peg to my right. 


Clearly beaten
I had no idea how the low-numbered pegs had got on, as there was a bush in the way, but when I walked back I saw that from Mick on 8 up to Ted on 1, most had two nets in, clearly beating my estimated 28 lb. I wasn’t surprised, as these were the pegs I fancied drawing. The secret to doing well at fishing – as it is at poker – is to take advantage of any luck you get. So good luck to them – you still have to catch ‘em.

Winner Terry Tribe, no doubt
already thinking about the golden
 coin Martin Parker would
be handing over to him later.
Runner-up Peter Harrison -
he  has the Method sussed.
Terry Tribe, on peg 5, fished a method which has won him many Winter matches – corn on a straight bomb, catapulting a few grains over the top, and totalled 98 lb. Peter Harrison on 6 was second, fishing the Method all day with hair-rigged corn, and weighing 93 lb. Both have those methods down to a fine art, and fish them with confidence.


Down along the bank  to me, and afterwards I was actually pleased with my 31 lb, as it was top weight in the last five swims, and it won me a £50 Benwick Sports voucher and a little cash – our Christmas match gives prizes. The only think marring the day for me was raising a toast to absent friends, remembering member Peter Parlett, who died at the ridiculously early age of 61 earlier in the year.


During a match you can forget such things, but afterwards there’s always the sense that someone is missing.

Some good news
This was my first outing with my new Frenzee HGV Mk 2 barrow, and it was OK. Easy to steer, and actually quite quick to assemble. I managed to get to my peg in just one journey. Very pleased.

My next match is probably in the Pidley Pensionsers (Over 60s) next Wednesday on Magpie. No idea which pegs I fancy as at this time of year the fish get together and play hide-and-seek with us.

Left - the result. Note that somehow Peter Barnes, on 10 was placed in peg 9, and Bob Barrett on 9 was placed on 10, but their weights are correct.  Perhaps a visit to Specsavers for someone is in order...You can't get the staff nowadays! 



No comments:

Post a Comment