Thursday 31 October 2019

Fifth again on Damson, Decoy


Peg 4
An apology
Firstly, I left my phone behind, so no pictures. But I got a draw I quite fancied, in the first 5 swims., which I have found tend to produce bigger fish than the others. The weather was fairly calm to start with, but a cold Easterly breeze sprang up, luckily it was behind us all except Trevor on the end bank, 14.

I wasn’t going to make the same mistake as I had the previous week and ignore the shallow margins, so I plumbed up about four feet deep – and no sooner had the plummet hit bottom than the float dived away like a bite, and came back to the top. That showed me that there were fish there.

So I started there, with a 4mm expander on the hook, and took two fish in the first two drop-ins. Then another about five minutes later, all around 1 lb. But then they vanished. And by now Peter Barnes on my right was hitting fish one after the other, on a feeder cast to the far bank, which had had the sun on it for an hour or two. I should have followed suit, but decided to stick to the pole.

Six sections out works again
In the next hour or so I found a couple of fish at three sections, and one more inside, and did not catch a fish on the four-section line. By now I had about 9 lb, while I estimated Peter had the better part of 25 lb. Then his bites slowed up and I went out to six sections, which I should have tried earlier, and started to find the occasional fish, which were nearly all over 2 lb.

I couldn’t see past peg 6 properly, and thought I was now doing OK. John Garner, on my left, had the same peg he had had on Sunday, when he had won; but today he seemed to be struggling. I carried on fishing at six sections, and when bites slowed I changed from 4mm expander to 6mm, and found two or three bream around 1 lb. Then a switch to frozen sweetcorn on the hook found carp again, and when they slowed I adjusted the float by about an inch at a time down the line. Instead of dragging two inches on the bottom I was now just touching bottom and that brought another small flurry of bites.

A decent last hour closer in
With an hour to go I saw Mark Parnell on 6 take fish quite close in - his float was about four feet from the bank -  so I switched and fished four feet deep, letting the bait fall in towards the shelf, and then dragging it along slowly if I hadn’t had an early bite. That induced three or four fish to take.  In that last hour about eight fish came – four on sweetcorn including a 3 lb barbel, and I then switched to a small piece of cat meat – from the small Gourmet tins – and took two more barbel and a couple of carp. The best one was a near-5 lb golden mirror which I was playing when the match ended.

 I lost just three fish, which unaccountably came off as I was playing them very gently. I think they were just lightly hooked, as the bites all day were very tiny in the cold water. (Just one of those would have seen me frame in fourth place). Trevor put me on to the Gourmet cat meat a year or two ago. The chunks are very small, but hard, and stay on the hook better than larger pieces. On waters where there are barbel I fancy they may be a good change bait in Winter, when larger baits are not working.

The weigh-in
I weighed 50 lb 14 oz – top weight to me, and Peter Barnes, who had had a terrible last half of the match on a feeder, weighed 34 lb 5 oz. On Peg 6  Mark Parnell beat me with 52 lb 1 oz with that late flurry. Then in the last seven pegs three weights topped that to knock me down to fifth spot. Best of all was Trevor, on the last swim, Peg 14, with 98 lb 2 oz...and he was Golden Peg! He fished all day at five or six sections, using corn. 

Runner-up Peter Harrison took most of his 75 lb 7 oz on a feeder. Another interesting day for me when no fish were giving themselves up and  when every bite had to be fished for. But I should have had a cast or two on feeder early on when I could see Peter doing well. Bob Barrett's fish in Peg 1 were almost all no bigger than about 1 lb, taken close in. It seems that the better fish at the moment are farther out.

Next match
Next definite match is on Six-Island, the most temperamental of the Decoy lakes as the water cools, as it’s the shallowest. Everything will depend on the wind, and whether it’s a cool one or warm. If it’s a cold Easterly then back wind on 1, 2 or 3 will suit me!

The weights:
Peg 1     Bob Barrett        32 lb15 oz
Peg 2     Ted Lloyd           21 lb 2 oz
Peg 3     John Garner       32 lb 15 oz
Peg 4     Mac Campbell    50 lb 14 oz
Peg 5     Peter Barnes      34 lb 5 oz
Peg 6     Mark Parnell       52 lb 1 oz              4th
Peg 8     Peter Harrison   75 lb 7 oz               2nd
Peg 9     Mick Linnell        45 lb 13 oz
Peg 10   John Smith        38 lb 8 oz
Peg 11   Terry Tribe          50 lb
Peg 12   Peter Spriggs     60 lb 5 oz              3rd
Peg 14   Trevor Cousins  98 lb 2 oz               1st

No comments:

Post a Comment