Wednesday 6 November 2019

Whupped by the UK Champ – Beastie, Decoy


Peg 22
A spare Tuesday and I fancied fishing the Open on Beastie Lake, although I know I’m well outclassed by those who were likely to be fishing it. I drew peg 22, with a cool Easterly breeze into me from the right, and Ben Bell to my right on 24. I would normally have set up a feeder rod, but fancied a day pole fishing, as the peg was a bit muddy, the rain was falling, and I couldn’t be arsed to get my rod out of the bag and set it up. Mistake!
A little rain at the start turned to heavier stuff from the East  (across from
the two big trees) and then it largely stopped, but the wind grew stronger and colder.

Smudge Smalley had said I should be able to catch on a pole, so I started at five sections, then six, and didn’t get a bite for 90 minutes until I put on maggot. That produced the occasional roach, most of which fell off. After two hours I wandered up to Ben, who had two F1s on a pole and was now on a leger, with banded pellet, but hadn’t had a knock on that. He remarked that the wind was cold, but I hadn’t thought it was...until a few minutes later when I did, indeed, start to feel cool. Probably just had a hot flush from the hormone treatment!!

A surprise F1 from the shallow margin
Back at my peg and I tried maggot in the side. The margins here have little cover, and the easiest to fish – with backish wind – was to the right, where it was shallow and I could see the bottom a foot or two from the bank. However, I suddenly started to get bites from roach and perch here on maggot, where I could almost see the bottom, and in the middle of these a 3 lb F1 put in an appearance. I decided to carry on catching small fish, though the elastic was far too heavy for them really, hoping more F1s would show. They didn’t.

Further forays out on the pole brought only odd roach on maggot, more than half of which fell off as I broke the pole down. I’d seen Smudge Smalley on 17 get three carp early on fishing the margins to his right against the reeds, and I’d seen Rob Goodson on 18 get one fish. I couldn’t see Ben Bell from where I was, so after the match ended and we had a word I was amazed to hear him tell me he had 40 lb-plus, firstly on 14 metres of pole and then, when the wind got up even harder, on a bomb with banded pellet cast to within about 15 metres of the island.

Ben Bell - current UK champion after topping the four-match series fished during 2019 by some of the
best match anglers in the country. He fished Peg 24 today, and weighed 52 lb 3 oz for third spot. For me
 it's still  a privilege to be able to fish against blokes like him just by paying an entrance fee.


Obviously I should have tried that, but I’m not yet in Winter fishing mode...and Ben is the current UK Champion, and about 40 years younger than me; he weighed 52 lb 3 oz. A whupping, but my miserable 8 lb 14 oz, worth just a "Thanks For Coming",  was perhaps not an actual disgrace, particularly as some didn’t weigh in. Still, for my next match on Six-Island I am starting as Nigel Baxter fished – size 8 elastic for roach – he had 31 lb of them on maggot  in his fourth placed 51 lb 5 oz, from peg 29. And I will definitely have a bomb or feeder ready to use.

The result showed how hard the fishing
can be on commercials at this time of year.
Banded pellet wins
Winner was Chris Barley on Peg 5, who pole-fished banded pellet at 14 metres and included seven good carp. Mind you, he had a backish wind. I should have just put on the extra sections and tried at 13 metres – I have no problem doing that with my Browning Z12. Afterwards John Smalley told me what I had already worked out for myself years ago – that the fish in Beastie tend to hang around the open water once the cool nights kick in. In fact fish were splashing around that area all day. Later they will gravitate to actually go under the island, where the temperatuyre changes are less marked, and very few ‘proper’ carp will be caught.

So Six-Island tomorrow (Thursday) and rain is forecast all day with the wind due to change from easterly to South-West about ten o’clock. That will mess up not only us anglers but the fish as well, unless the wind suddenly becomes warmer, which it is not forecasted to do. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment