Sunday 17 November 2019

I manage three fish in our Xmas match - Oak, Decoy


Peg 12
Thirteen of us fished this special Christmas match, and I was happy with Peg 12, as it’s in the last third of the lake, where you might expect fish to be hanging out. The wind was North-Westerly to start with, but soon swung round towards the East, giving a very cool wind into our faces. Luckily the rain held off.

I started on a bomb with a bunch of maggots, and go an occasional liner, but after half an hour had no fish. However, in that time Mark Parnell to my right had two carp on a pole at about eight metres, and Martin Parker, on his right, had one. On my left Rob Allen had a double-figure fish in the deep margin on what I assumed would be paste, though he told me afterwards it was cat meat.
Rob Allen to my left puts a big fish - about 10 lb - into
his keepnet on peg 13, towards the far end of Oak Lake.

I get one in the deep margin
I changed to fish maggot at 13 metres on the pole, but had no bites, and then Rob started hitting fish on a feeder, with maggot, from the far side. He had two or three quite quickly and then a long fishless spell. While that was going on I caught a fish of around 10 lb in my deep margin on maggot, but then had no more.

Another look out at 13 metres brought a bite from a fish which really pulled my elastic out, and 30 seconds later I realised it was foulhooked. Five minutes later I was certain it was hooked in the tail. And several minutes after that, as I gingerly pulled it tail-first over the landing net and lifted it lifted its head and squirmed over the side of the landing net. Two minutes later I managed to net it. It was around 8 lb.

Rob now had another couple more big fish on the feeder, but the two anglers to my right had had no more. I decided to put out a groundbait feeder with a bunch of maggots and first cast the tip wrapped round and a nine-pounder came in. The match was nearly half over at this point.
This was so big that Rob daren't try to unhook it while
he sat on his box. I estimated it at at least 14 lb.

From then to the end of the match I sat fishless and biteless, while Bob had more big fish. As before he’d get a couple quickly and then wait for a fair while for the next one. Towards the end he had three fish very quickly, one of which was a barbel. With an hour to go Martin Parker, who was pole fishing about 11 metres out,  pushed his float up the line a foot and laid all that extra on the bottom – and had four fish in 40 minutes.

The last 20 minutes Martin didn’t catch, but Mark had two more about 8 metres out. I had certainly been thrashed to my left, and probably to my right as well.


Mark Parnell had two fish in the first 30 minutes and two more in the last 30 minutes. This was his last one.

The weigh-in
Martin Parker, third with five fish for 34 lb 6 oz.
Results at the car park end were spasmodic, Ted on 1 had one fish, while Mick Rawson and Peter Spriggs never had a bite. Peter Barnes and John Garner each had one fish, which weighed 2 lb 11 oz (not the same fish you understand!) But Trevor, next to Peter, had ten fish, all on feeder – eight from the far side and two in the middle from peg 7  – for 48 lb 15 oz and runner-up position.



Mark Parnell fished hard for sixth spot - beaten by
 just 2 oz for fifth place by Bob Barrett.











Martin was third with 34 lb 6 oz, while my three totalled 28 lb for a surprising fourth – I was fairly happy as I never do well in this match. The undoubted winner was Rob Allen on 13 with a magnificent 91 lb 1 oz. Thoroughly deserved – he got those fish in really quickly on his Daiwa Yank and Bank feeder rod, and several were around the 10 lb mark.





Winner Rob Allen graciously condescended to let me take a picture of him with his biggest fish.


The result

Peg 1    Ted Lloyd             7 lb 1 oz
Peg 2    Bob Barrett         24 lb 10 oz   5th
Peg 3    Mick Linnell        17 lb 4 oz
Peg 4    Mick Rawson       DNW
Peg 5    Peter Harrison    20 lb 14 oz
Peg 6    Peter Spriggs       DNW
Peg 7   Trevor Cousins    48 lb 15 oz   2nd
Peg 8    Peter Barnes         2 lb 11 oz 
Peg 9   John Garner           2 lb 11 oz
Peg 10 Martin Parker       34 lb 6 oz    3rd
Peg 11 Mark Parnell         24 lb 8 oz   6th
Peg 12 Mac Campbell      28 lb           4th
Peg 13 Rob Allen             91 lb 1 oz    1st



The prizegiving
We pay a little extra every time we fish, which means that this match always has prizes, and Trevor and Rob did us proud, with a great selection. I finished with a coffee maker, while Di at the fishery provided us with mince pies and gave us back the pegging fee for this match (not for the first time!) 

Highlight of the Spratts season - prizes at the Christmas match. A prize for everybody.

Trevor was also able to hand out cash to every angler as well as the prizes. And at the end he gave everyone except one a framed photo of themselves with fish, taken from my blog. Mark Parnell didn’t get one because he’s not fished with us for long and I hadn’t taken his picture. But there’s one this week. Wendy, who didn’t fish the match, also took the trouble to come along – that’s what makes this a smashing club.

We all thanked Trevor, who does a lot of work booking all the matches and generally organising everything. And Di’s generosity was the icing on the cake.  A memorable end to the summer season.

From now until the Spring I expect to fish at Pidley and probably Frasers fishery, as well as the occasional match at Decoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment