Sunday 12 July 2020

Manky Maggots Marvellous for Me – Six-Island, Decoy


Peg 18
Sixteen of us fished this Fenland Rods match in bright sun most of the morning, and when 18 was drawn out for me I was pretty pleased. It’s always had a good reputation, and used to be the ‘flier’ on this lake, though, I can’t remember it doing particularly well in matches I have fished on here in  the last season or two. But it’s not a difficult swim to fish – narrow at 13 metres, with shallow margins both sides.

Peg 10 won the Fenland Rods match last time on here, and that went to Dave Garner, who I reckoned was favourite to win...and he didn’t let me down! I had a plan to stick to simply cat meat, which I hoped would reduce the messing about tackling up and packing away, so I left my rods at home.

An early two-pounder
Fish were swimming about just under the surface all over the lake, and although they never looked at an expander pellet flicked in front of them I started with a shallow rig and a 6mm expander. Within about four minutes several fish had refused to take it when flopped in front of them, but then the float sailed away and I was into a two-pounder. When I unhooked it the hook was in its fin, but I’m not sure whether it was actually foulhooked.

No more came and Allan Golightly on my left had a couple of fish close in, so I tried there with cat meat. The next three drop-ins to the left margin saw me hook three fish...and lose three fish! I’m sure they were not foulhooked. Alan continued to catch, but eventually I had to have a go down the track, with expander. This brought a three-pounder o by two more lost. One came to cat meat down the track, and eventually two more to pellet. Then a couple from the margin, although roach were knocking the cat meat off almost every cast.

Half way and I’m not looking good
Half way through and I had about 20 lb. In went hemp and 6mm hard pellet down the track and another couple of fish around 3 lb came. At one point I dropped in the deep water to my left with cat meat, and immediately roach started knocking it about. Eventually a roach pulled the float under...and it turned out to be a 4 lb mirror. Strange. Another came first cast with a worm, but no more. Then the odd carp on corn.

With 35 lb in my nets and 90 minutes to go I was desperate, as Allan was ahead of me. Then I saw a maggot tin I knew held the mankiest maggots you could ever imagine – most of them were black skins! They had been thawed and refrozen about four times, and had been in my freezer since last year. But desperate circumstances call for desperate measures, so in went half a pot of them to my right margin, which had produced just one fish so far,

A miracle!
Dropped in with six horrible dead maggots on the hook...and six seconds later I was playing a 2 lb barbel. Next drop, and this took longer – all of 15 seconds before a 4 lb barbel took the bunch of deads. And for the rest of the match I would put in a pot of “Maggotus Horribilis” and sometimes that would result in a carp – they went to 7 lb. The odd fish came from the left margin to cat meat (nothing on my wonderful home-made paste) and a couple from the track. That last 90 minutes saw about 45 lb go into my nets, mainly to the deads, from the right margin, which was about 18 inches deep. A couple came off, foulhooked.

I’m certain that if I’d tried maggots earlier I would have had a lot more. So much for my cat meat plan! But I took my time packing away, and felt OK, although my back ached something wicked.

The weigh in
Allan on 19, to my left,  told me he’d caught early on, on expander, in the margins, which I hadn’t tried. Then he changed to hard pellet, which I also didn’t try. I should have! Right at the end he went to the far bank and had three fish quickly. I could have reached it with 13 metres, but couldn’t be bothered in the heat, and you can’t do everything.

No real pattern to the weights except that the car park end produced three of the top four.

Along came the scales and indeed Dave Garner on 10 was well in the lead and the obvious winner, with 140 lb 7 oz, on cat meat. He told me he’d caught well early on when the scum was in his swim, but when it disappeared he struggled. Funny how carp like feeding under scum.

Tony Nisbett, always a threat, was on 17, well to my right and weighed in 64 lb 14 oz, which I thought I might beat. In fact the last three or four fish, which were bigger, took my weight round to 90 lb 15 oz, for third overall.  Guest angler Peter  Spriggs on 2 was runner-up with 118 lb 1 oz on paste. And Wendy on 25 took fourth with 84 lb 7 oz on a feeder – a great performance as John Smith on her right, got just 45 lb 12 oz.

I don’t think many of the double-figure fish which we could see swimming around most of the day were caught. The temperature has been all over the place recently, and waters need two or three days of settled weather to fish well.

My mates
Again, thanks to the anglers who enquired about my back, and how I felt. Especially John Garner, who asked whether I needed help at the start, and asked again as he passed my swim going back to the car. I didn’t but I have in the past, and John has always obliged. A good mate.

In fact I’ve purchased a narrow carryall which sits nicely across my extended footplate when it’s on my barrow, and added a bit to my barrow to keep the box in the right place. So I should be hunky dory in the future.

Next match Sunday on Magpie at Pidley. Not sure how this has been fishing – it can be temperamental.

Pictures?
Anglers are not supposed to follow the scales, but I might try to get some pictures if the opportunity arises.

No comments:

Post a Comment