Sunday 11 October 2020

Cold, windy and horrible, but I enjoyed it – Beastie, Decoy

Peg 12
Match fishermen, whether they realise it or not, are always looking for an ‘edge’ – something they do better than most others. With some, it’s disciplined feeding; with others it’s landing big fish quickly; with others it’s being willing to make changes quickly, rather than sitting there wondering if they should change.

My edge (I think) is being able to see the tiniest trembles on a float, showing that something is interested. It’s not just having decent eyesight, even with spectacles. It’s also having a sixth sense when something is happening down there, and having the confidence to go with your instinct. Well, that came into play today, in the last two hours.

The match
After several last-minute drop-outs, for family reasons, our Fenland Rods match ended with 11 anglers and, for better or worse, I selected the pegs to fish (we were given 1 to 17). The back of the ‘Spit’ can fish differently to the main lake – sometimes better, sometimes worse. But I put three pegs on there, wondering whether I was doing the right thing. Well, Peg 12 was drawn for me, so I would find out.

After the match - the wind had gone, but minutes later the rain started again.

The weather
The weather was not kind – a strong, cold wind blowing into the faces of most, while the three of us on Pegs 9, 12 and 13 had it over our left shoulders, but it was still cold; some rain was likely. I started as long as I dare, at 11.5 metres with 4mm expander and soon had an 8 oz bream. A short time later I foulhooked a 3 lb common carp, which ended in my keepnet. But then the fish shut up shop.

The right margin had a nice bed of reeds protruding out into the lake, and I bait-droppered some maggots down there, as there was a huge tow against the wind. For ages nothing happened, then in quick succession two 1 lb bream and a 2 lb tench came in, on maggot. I tried for more bream with worm, but was surprised not to get a touch. Two hours gone and I had 7 lb.

Tony Nisbet, on 13, then told me he had just two fish, and the Number Three section of his pole had blown in.  I offered a short Number Three I carry with me, but it was not a fit. Allan Golightly and Mick Rawson had rakes with them and left them with Tony. More of that at the end...

Sport is very slow
Behind me Kevin Lee had three good carp, fishing in the big ripple down the edge. But he must have been cold. I had a look to my left, into the wind, towards the next platform, and first drop had a bite which I missed; next drop the same; then a 3 lb F1 came in. Cracked it!

Nope – I persevered there for the next 45 minutes and apart from one missed bite the fish appeared to have gone. Nothing long; so I went unto the right margin, which produced two more bream and one small F1. These came to a very light 4x12 rig laid well on with a shot on bottom, and allowed to drag in the tow.

I tried a banjo feeder for half an hour, with hair-rigged sweetcorn and had one big wrap-round, but I had had to clip up to get next to the reeds opposite, and a very big fish broke me. Tony said he’d had the same thing happen to him. I tried again for two casts but then put the feeder rod away. Four hours gone and I now had about 13 lb or 14 lb.

The last two hours
Kevin had had more good carp, and it looked as if I was going to be thrashed. So I reverted to what I am best at – perfect presentation. That meant starting on two sections because of the wind.

One reason I love the
Tuff-Eye is that it comes
with four different-coloured
interchangeable tips
.
I took a 0.5 gm Drennan Tuff Eye – which I use most of the time – and put the bulk about a foot above the bait. A single, medium-sized piece of sweetcorn was bait. I have no idea what the hook was, but it was a size 14 and looked OK to me! The weight of the corn would take the float right down to surface level, so I fished it with three-quarters-of-an inch  of the top showing.

With a small pot on the pole I potted in about right grains, waited a few seconds for them to sink in the four feet of water, and slowly lowered my bait down in among them - not laying it out flat. First drop and the float slid under just as the bait hit bottom – a 3 lb F1.

I fished like that for the next two hours, giving the swim an occasional rest by dropping in to another swim, same depth, to my left, which yielded two fish. Every seven or eight minutes I’d hook a fish, mainly F1s to 3 lb, and a couple of 2 lb bream, but also a 3 lb common and an eight-pounder.

The important bit
BUT my edge here was that once I had the depth exactly right – just touching bottom (which meant half an inch or so overdepth to allow for any curve in the line caused by the undertow),  although the fish were very reluctant to take the bait properly, I could see the tiniest waverings of the float caused by fish around the bait, even in the wind.

I suspect that a lot of the touches were fish swimming around and not actually touching the bait, but the power of their fins was sufficient to move the line. So I was able to keep my interest, knowing that fish were still down there. Then I would just very gently tighten the line to the rig so it dragged one way or the other, but only a tiny amount, so the tip dropped down almost level with the surface. I didn’t seem to matter whether I went with the wind or the tow – a fish would eventually take the bait.

Behind me, on 15, facing the wind,
Kevin Lee had 80 lb 8 oz for second,
taken on a pole mainly in the margins.
I had only two bites lifting the bait, which is unusual, as I have found that lifting is generally best for carp, and dragging better for roach. And when the fish seemed to have gone I moved out no more than ten inches, in about one inch of deeper water, and found them again. Bites never came quickly, but I enjoyed trying to get the fish to have a go.

Half an hour before the end the rain, which had been on and off all day, really started to fall, and I put up my umbrella. Unfortunately in the time it took me to do that everything was soaked. But at least I was dry from then on, and a magnificent rainbow was in front of me.

One minute before the end of the match I hooked another very big fish but this came off just before the foghorn went to end the match (even I can hear that, now).

The weigh-in
Of course, no sooner had the match ended than the wind died away, the rain stopped and for a short time it was a nice Autumn afternoon. Then as the scales approached me, the rain started again, and by the time everything had been packed on the trolley we were all drenched.

On Peg 14 Mike Rawson had bigger
fish than me, and weighed 33 lb 12 oz,
taken on a feeder.
Pegs 4 and 5 are rated highly, and with James Garner on 4, I wasn’t surprised to see him in the lead with 86 lb 1 oz. But his father, Dave Garner on 5, had a surprisingly-low weight of 28 lb 1 oz (he hardly ever fails to frame and is our favourite to win the Club Championship).

Biggest fish of our season
To my left I was told Matthew Lutkin had a very big fish, but unfortunately it was returned before I could get a picture. At 15 lb 11 oz it takes the lead in our club’s Big-Fish competition, and is unlikely to be beaten this year. But that made up more than half his weight of 27 lb 6 oz.

I estimated I had something over 50 lb – but I hadn’t bothered to click the last few fish, to save time. So I was very happy to get 70 lb 8 oz, though Kevin Lee on 15, behind me, beat that with 80 lb 8 oz for second. I ended third, and really enjoyed that last two hours, when  I did what I think I am best at.

And a big bonus for me was Allan Golightly taking my rods and some other bit and pieces back after he had packed up, so I didn’t have to make another journey in the downpour. Really appreciated that.

Sport was patchy, as you would expect now the winds are colder.


The minor miracle
Tony used the rakes at the end of the match to try to get his Number Three back. I’ve done this more than once, as have others, and I’ve never seen a successful attempt. For fifteen minutes Tony hurled out the two-side rake and gingerly inched it back by pulling the rope.

When I went up to him – a huge surprise. He’d got a Number Three section out but it wasn’t his! He hadn’t tried it, and was more intent on looking for his own. And, amazingly, he suddenly shouted out: “Got it!” He had actually managed to bring his section to the bank, undamaged...

How he did it I can’t imagine. I doubt if he can, either. Anyway, it must have felt as if he had won the pools when he finally got it to the bank.

My next match is Monday on Damson at Decoy, then Wednesday on Jay at Rookery Fishery, Pidley. I am well out of touch with this fishery, so don’t expect to frame, unless I get a sheltered swim and can fish 14.5 metres to the far bank. Even then I’ll need a lot of luck to beat the local regulars.

No comments:

Post a Comment