Thursday 29 October 2020

I did 'OK' (spoiler - I didn't win) - Beastie, Decoy

 Peg 25
When the wind blows cold at the draw, and starts getting colder, almost everyone hopes for back wind, especially if possible rain is forecast. So when Terry Tribe prayed for Peg 30, which was sheltered from the cold South-Westerly, and actually got it drawn for him, he was a Happy Bunny. The other 12 of us in this Spratts match envied him...

My Peg 25 was also back-ish wind, but you are not allowed to cast to the island from there, and at this time of year the carp tend to gravitate towards the island, where they remain until the Spring. But there were fish swirling near the bank when I got there, and a patch of calm water which extended for about ten metres. So it had possibilities. Also, the wind appeared to be a little warmer now.

Peg 25. The wind was blowing into the far bank from the right.

I caught roach, but not quickly enough
To cut a long story short, a quick look on all my pole swims was unproductive. Then a banjo feeder with a Pop-Up, and then a while Chocolate Bandum, also brought me Zilch. A change to maggot brought a 4 oz bream, and I then spent an enjoyable 45 minutes catching small roach from the margins on maggot on a light elastic and pole. But although I was getting a bite immediately the bait sank to their level, I was missing a lot of them. Eventually I decided that 4 lb an hour was never going to be any good, especially as I could see Trevor on Peg 3 oppsosite catching on a feeder cast to the island.

So it was back to maggot on the feeder, cast about 35 metres, which over the next hour brought a 2lb F1 and another of 3 lb. The next hour was spent fruitlessly trying the margins with corn, for carp, and a long line at 11 metres, with pellet and corn, and my target had now gone from winning to being top of the four pegs on my bank - 21, 22, 24, and my peg 25 (Martin Parker having had to move from 23 to 21).

This 12 lb mirror, taken at 11 metres on a grain of corn was most welcome!
Yippee - a big carp
With less than two hours remaining I decided I had to concentrate on the long line, and messing about with the depth on my 1gm Tuff Eye float brought two or three bream, best 2 lb. Fishing several inches overdepth then brought a carp on corn first drop - and what a carp. I must have weighed 12 lb, and in the very clear water (I could see a foot below the surface) it put up a huge fight, constantly turning away from the landing net when I thought I had it safely netted.

Following that, another carp of 4 lb came in, and some more bream. I found that laying on almost a foot was best. But the problems got worse - leaves and rubbish on the surface were moving back and forth, and snagging the float and line. And shipping out often meant that the hook caught in a leaf.

Terry Tribe's fourth-placed catch of 39 lb 6 oz on feeder.
Bugga the wind!
Rain started to fall, though not really heavily, and then the wind started playing tricks - it was blowing from the right, but at times a gust came from the left, and blew me round in my seat; then it turned round and hit me the other way. Very strange. Presentation for more than 30 seconds became impossible, though I still had another couple of small bream.

Half an hour to go and I lost another carp, which felt big. Then the wind became so bad I simply couldn't fish the long line. I spent the last half hour trying in the margins with corn and cat meat for one more big fish, but never had a touch.

The weigh-in
I knew Trevor had several fish, and I'd seen Terry Tribe get some by also casting tight ot the island. but Peter Harrison on Peg 4 was first to weight. By feedering tight to the island with a hard pellet he took 89 lb 15 oz for the win. Peg 18, my favourite, had produced 62 lb for Allan Porter. You are not allowed to cast to the island from 18, but he took his fish, late in the match,. by putting a feeder to the far side of the deep channel under the bridge.

Trevor's best fish was this magnificent common carp,
which we weighed at 18 lb 2 oz!
I weighed 30 lb 9 oz, which was more than the other three pegs on my bank together, and was satisfied with that, as the other three had the island to cast to.

Bob Barrett, amazingly, on 29 didn't weigh, but Terry Tribe beat me with 39 lb 6 oz on 30, using a Wafter on a Method feeder. Last to weigh was Trevor, with 71 lb 13 oz, also on a Wafter, which was second. So I ended fifth. I was particularly pleased with because I felt that I had got as much from my swim, especially in the last couple of hours, as I could have done.

Next match - not sure. I will have a cast around to see what the forecast is for this weekend before I commit myself. But Decoy calls next Thursday, on Six-Island. We were told that Diane was pumping water out of Six-Island recently, and I know it can become very wet and soggy, so we may be asked to change. No problem, as I'm happy anywhere.

Weights are starting to fall, but Decoy rarely fails to produce a decent match.



No comments:

Post a Comment