Tuesday 1 January 2019

First visit to Floatfish Farm – Wagtail


Thirty fished this New Years Eve Open, and I was on peg 20. I was told that the hot pegs on Wagtail are on 22, and opposite on 11, which are in corners with a large, wide reed bed running down the end bank – plenty of cover for the fish if they wish to get out of the main lake.

Peg 20. Wagtail is about 80 yards across.
Basically I had four fish in the first 70 minutes, on a straight bomb with hair-rigged corn. After another 20 minutes biteless I went out to 13 metres on the pole, with maggot, and caught a 4 oz roach immediately. But that was the only roach, and just four or five gudgeon and a dozen tiny perch were all I could manage between then and the end of the match, alternating between the lead and pole.


Last in my section on my first visit, (pegs marked green), but not disgraced
My fish weighed 12 lb 3 oz which was sixth out of the eight on my lake, but since Rob Goodson on my left managed only 8 lb of bits I wasn’t unhappy. The angler on my right on 22 had about ten carp, taken mainly in the first 90 minutes, for 16 lb 14 oz. The lake was won by Phil Aldridge, opposite, who seemed to be taking most of his 39 lb 11 oz on the pole. It’s years since I spoke to Phil, and didn’t realise it was him, otherwise I would have walked over when the match finished to say hello.

Better weights came from Horsehoe and Two Island. I had a word with some of the regulars afterwards and got an idea of where the favoured pegs are, for future reference.

Impressions
Two-Islands, won by Stan Dow.
I’d never even seen the lakes, which are near Stanground, Peterborough, and as it appears to be still a working gravel pit complex it wasn’t surprising that the track was very muddy. The lakes have  proper margins, with plenty of reed cover, and I guess in Summer it all looks very inviting. For this match it appeared that anglers could ask to be placed on a lake of their choice, though by the time I got there (8.30 after being told the draw was at 9 am) I was almost last and was placed on Wagtail, which was put in on the morning.

Horseshoe - overall winner was Jay Richardson.



For the results I had to find Dale and Elaine, the owners, who were on the bank having a natter to some of the regulars – and actually that was probably preferable to going back to the shop, which was by the side of the muddy track. They both made me very welcome indeed, and told me about some of the lakes. I found out a bit more from the anglers there, most of whom I knew.

Overall I guess it’s work in progress, and as the lakes are not carp-only, and contain bream, tench and all the other stillwater species, I can see why it’s popular with pleasure anglers. Another reason for its popularity is that you can drive to every peg, so no need for trolleys.

My next match in Wednesday, Jan 2, on Jay at Pidley.

No comments:

Post a Comment