Tuesday 29 January 2019

I give up!


The third of six Individual Winter Leagues on Decoy saw me on Lou’s Lake, peg 10, fishing towards the corner. It was windy, but not as cold as the forecast had been.

Mark Sawyer was on 6, which can be a flier, and we had our backs to each other, but round to my left I could see, if I turned a little, a young  angler I did not recognise, who turned out to be Zak Worby. He had a couple of fish early on, casting a feeder across to the reeds behind an aerator, and I had two carp about 3 lb casting towards the corner, about 30 yards, on a very small Method feeder and maggot. I couldn’t see what Mark was catching, but Zak caught steadily for the next couple of hours.

My sad story - last again!
Basically, that is the end of my story. The odd small roach came to the feeder, and I managed some more on a pole, together with a few tiny perch. I lost the feeder at one point, casting into the end bank instead of dropping it just short, and reverted to a pellet feeder, but never had another knock.
Mark Sawyer with his best fish.

Mark told me afterwards he caught mainly casting a feeder to his right, to the end bank, and he won the lake with 78 lb 3 oz, with Zak, whose fish died in the last two hours, second on 61 lb 6 oz. For the second match running I was last in the whole match, with 7 lb 8 oz.It’s little compensation to know that there are just three of us on a maximum 15 points, and that one of the others is John Whincup. At least he’s  been catching reasonable weights.

It was interesting that though the water was very clear the angler on 13 told me he had some late carp on a top two.
Zak Worby - second on the lake.




















I know that all these blokes are better than me, but I am a little disheartened. Looks like my target now is to not come last overall in at least one more match! I was last back to HQ, as well...the hormone treatment for the prostate cancer has taken a lot of my strength away. This is normal, and some of my friends have found the same thing. Still, it was annoying to have to ask for help pushing my trolley up the slight slope back to the car, then have to sit for another  five minutes before packing my stuff away.

But everybody is so helpful and chatty – that’s why I love the atmosphere. Matchfishing is just great.
HORSESHOE
Results here (apologies for missing Willows last time - don't know how that happened).
BEASTIE
WILLOWS
DAMSON

No comments:

Post a Comment